Creating a Life Vision

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Aloe Crane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Re: Creating a Life Vision

Post by Aloe Crane »

Marsha JJ wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 14:34 In Blue Collar Cash Ken Rusk includes some great advice about creating a vision by asking "What exactly do I want my life to look like?" Is this something that you have done or plan to do? If so, did you find it to be helpful?
Yup! I already have a vision. I need to keep managing that future vision, but it's helpful to think about where you want to go from where you're at now!
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

My goal in high school was to become a construction engineer, and design bridges, build roads, and buildings. Something along those lines; of course in the sixties, those were not the fields that "a girl" should consider. In the summer of 1967, I was invited to attend a JESSI (Junior Engineer and Scientist Summer Institute) Workshop that lasted two weeks. Any others that I had seen advertised were usually at a great distance, but this one was only 90 miles away from home. The only struggle I had about going was that it was in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at the University of Pittsburgh. My mother wasn't too thrilled with the idea, but I got to go. About 200 boys and maybe 35-40 girls attended and had 2 hour sessions on each of various careers in the scientific and engineering fields. I was feeling pretty good about my career vision until one evening in the second week, when the females presenting in the sessions held a seminar for just the girls. In this session, they discussed the difficulties of succeeding in a "man's" field and things that often fall along the wayside when you are trying to succeed in that field. One of the things mentioned was that you could not afford to take time off to have a baby. The field would move on without you and it could be like starting your training all over again. "So, if you want a family, these may not be the fields that you want to consider".

I was blindsided! Family had always been important to me and the thought of not having a family of my own struck me hard. My mom had 8 siblings and my dad had 6. By the time I was in 4th grade, I had 40+ first cousins, plus quite a number of 2nd cousins since my dad was the baby of his family and my mom was second to last. I had always planned on family, but perhaps missing out brought me to tears. By the time I got home, I had decided to go into teaching, and retired after a career of over 33 years. I have never regretted the decision that I made that summer, but have occasionally pondered all that I would have missed if I had made the other choice.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

This is something I've done before. Life's journey is not always a straight line. Unexpected twists and turns occur. I have to revisit the vision from time to time to see if it is still what I want or if I need to reinvent myself to adapt to changes. A vision can help you find your purpose and direction. When I'm feeling lost, I return to the vision.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Gabriela Contreras wrote: 08 Nov 2022, 11:29 I have tried this, but I start imagining multiple versions and I cannot focus on or define one scenario.
This is such a common issue. We try to visualize something, try to get them, but eventually, we get sidetracked. Constantly staying focused is hard but over time it can happen.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've had Life Goal Visions for as long as I can remember, yet 5 decades later, only a couple have been met; unfortunately, Fate has not shared my visions, and apparently, it's deciding.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

This is a form of visual manifestation. Visualizing your desired future really does help in achieving the same. It is the best confidence and motivation booster.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Anee Dede
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anee-dede.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Anee Dede »

I have always visioned my life. I have alot of hope for the life ahead of me.
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

Growing up i would always visulaise how my life and future would be like , and though it has not always go as planed because of life challenges i still believed that it has helped me stayed focused and consistent.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”