Creating a Life Vision

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Creating a Life Vision

Post by Marsha JJ »

In Blue Collar Cash Ken Rusk includes some great advice about creating a vision by asking "What exactly do I want my life to look like?" Is this something that you have done or plan to do? If so, did you find it to be helpful?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

It is something I always tried to do when I thought of a great idea for a business, but I wasn't successful at it! But I think it makes sense and can help you be successful!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I loved this idea from the book. I have been trying to look at my vision for life since I read this. I now understand how important it is to visualize the life you want. You must see it in order to achieve it!
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

Up until recently I really hadn’t spent much time thinking about what I wanted my life to look like in the future. I spent so much time just trying to get through six years of college and grad school and then two years of trying to financially recover, that I rarely considered what I was aiming for in my life.

In the last year I have gotten married and we have bought our first home. We have had MANY long discussions about our dreams and the paths that will take us to those dreams. How interesting to stumble upon a book that reinforces this mentality and encourages readers to build their careers to fit their lives and achieve their dreams.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really did it when I was younger and I thought that the vision was how life would be. Unfortunately, physical problems revealed themselves and I was unable to realize it. What has happened is different, but better than Iimagined.
Gabriela Contreras
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriela Contreras »

I have tried this, but I start imagining multiple versions and I cannot focus on or define one scenario.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I had a vision for how I wanted my life to be when I was younger. I am fortunate enough to have achieved the goals I envisioned, but it didn’t always happen in the way I expected! I have not revisited my goals since I was a teenager. I think it’s time to look back and reevaluate. I definitely plan to keep some of my goals the same, but I think I would add some new ones and refine things.
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Marsha JJ wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 14:34 In Blue Collar Cash Ken Rusk includes some great advice about creating a vision by asking "What exactly do I want my life to look like?" Is this something that you have done or plan to do? If so, did you find it to be helpful?
I actively use this technique. It is important to have a plan even if things don't go to plan :lol2: For example, I am saving money for an online exam in preparation for university applications. The current economic crisis could derail my progress because I would be forced to react to every event. In the long run, without a plan, I would not make any progress in my career.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I have done a life vision previously as we were asked to do one at work, albeit for the next 5 years. Whilst I did achieve everything on there, I think I was already on my way to achieving some things when I noted it down.

I do think it would be good to do another life vision, maybe looking further to the future than just 5 years this time.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I'm leery of visualising, particularly about my life. I mean, I believe in having a vision -- for a business undertaking, or any kind of project. But for my life, no. I could set goals for myself, or make list of things I'd like to have and do, or places I'd to visit, and I'll even make plans on how to get there. But to sit and visualise like it's described in the book, I couldn't. Doing it like this, I feel, gives the illusion that one is in complete control of one's life; we're not. You could be here today and gone tomorrow.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Why is this useful? Because no matter what your goal is, if you give it your all (I mean all), even if you fail a thousand times, you will succeed! Why is this so? If we apply this to theory and take a die and roll it thirty-six times, in at least one of the cases we will get a six. It's the same in life! When you have a goal, you don't stop repeating the same exercise until it becomes a fact.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Alexandur Gicov wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 17:07 Why is this useful? Because no matter what your goal is, if you give it your all (I mean all), even if you fail a thousand times, you will succeed! Why is this so? If we apply this to theory and take a die and roll it thirty-six times, in at least one of the cases we will get a six. It's the same in life! When you have a goal, you don't stop repeating the same exercise until it becomes a fact.
Surely, to have a goal at all you must have visualised it in the loosest sense. To decide you want to roll a six on a die you have visualised it. But are they the end goal or just a step along the way and do you know what is next? Are your stepping-stone goals taking you in a different direction to what you really want but you haven’t put a name to it yet?
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I like to do this when faced with a large decision and decide if it fits in with my current life vision or if my life vision will change with this decision since I last thought about it. It's great to do in general, but as life changes, I think our vision does too.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I did have a plan for my life when I was younger. I wanted to be a teacher, get married, and have children. I think it was helpful. Well, I was a teacher for thirty years. I married a wonderful man and have been married for 29 years. We had two sons who are now all grown up and living adult lives. I don't really have a plan from here on out, though. I'd love to have grandchildren someday.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

My plans now are to buy a house. I do think this question is a very good one for being the steps to make a plan and execute it.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”