Who did the crayon exercise, and what did you learn?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Who did the crayon exercise, and what did you learn?

Post by Emily Meadows »

Who took out their crayons, and what did the crayon exercise show you? I want to hear about the type of car you'd like to save for, the pet of your dreams, or bigger stuff like good health and happiness. So far, my white sheet of paper has words you might expect on it - happiness, good health, a continued loving relationship. But, I also have a few specifics on there like AN OFFICE IN MY HOUSE that isn't within spitting distance of my bed. How am I going to get that office? I will need to get specific so I can set a goal.

Oh and also? Someday I would love to drive a Mercedes. HAHA.

Share!
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

At first, I thought the crayon exercise sounded a little simple and childish. However, I actually really enjoyed doing it. It helped me put my dreams and goals into a physical item I could touch. I also drew a mercedes, a G-wagon to be specific!
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Post by Kelsey Roy »

My husband and I recently bought our first home- a major life goal for both of us! This has had us talking about our dreams frequently and what goals we can set to achieve them. I did the crayon exercise and thought afterwords about how cool it would be to frame it and hang it, to continually look to my dreams to reinforce my goals and hard work.

Here is my dream: a beautiful home, on the edge of a lake. A big dock with a sleek ski boat. Two kids and a dog running to pile into the boat for a day on the water. Plenty of land with space for a garden where I can grow veggies, herbs, and fruits. A giant screened in porch off the back of the house where I can sit with my husband and look out at the lake with a book in my hand, blissfully removed from the bugs!

I work A LOT. Like all the time. And my dream doesn’t include me sitting at my desk or traveling for work. Although I LOVE my job and it is very fulfilling to help people, I want to get to a point where I can live off passive income with rental properties. This is a massive goal, but one that I continually save and work for. I hope that framing this crayon dream will help me strive harder to achieve it!
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Sydney Ash wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 22:04 At first, I thought the crayon exercise sounded a little simple and childish. However, I actually really enjoyed doing it. It helped me put my dreams and goals into a physical item I could touch. I also drew a mercedes, a G-wagon to be specific!
I felt the same but I did it anyway! And it helped me to refresh my priorities. Glad it helped you too.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 22:13 My husband and I recently bought our first home- a major life goal for both of us! This has had us talking about our dreams frequently and what goals we can set to achieve them. I did the crayon exercise and thought afterwords about how cool it would be to frame it and hang it, to continually look to my dreams to reinforce my goals and hard work.

Here is my dream: a beautiful home, on the edge of a lake. A big dock with a sleek ski boat. Two kids and a dog running to pile into the boat for a day on the water. Plenty of land with space for a garden where I can grow veggies, herbs, and fruits. A giant screened in porch off the back of the house where I can sit with my husband and look out at the lake with a book in my hand, blissfully removed from the bugs!

I work A LOT. Like all the time. And my dream doesn’t include me sitting at my desk or traveling for work. Although I LOVE my job and it is very fulfilling to help people, I want to get to a point where I can live off passive income with rental properties. This is a massive goal, but one that I continually save and work for. I hope that framing this crayon dream will help me strive harder to achieve it!
Ok this is fabulous. I love the specificity. Get it!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I did the challenge! It surprised me how little I truly thought about what I wanted for my future. The type of place i envisioned was rather unconventional, however, realistically, I would just want a place big enough to hold a personal creative outlet. I imagine a life where I have the freedom to create whatever I'd like, with a simplistic car to get around. I think that life would be simple enough to reach the 3 highlighted goals in life.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Emily Meadows »

Alice Fu wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 02:53 I did the challenge! It surprised me how little I truly thought about what I wanted for my future. The type of place i envisioned was rather unconventional, however, realistically, I would just want a place big enough to hold a personal creative outlet. I imagine a life where I have the freedom to create whatever I'd like, with a simplistic car to get around. I think that life would be simple enough to reach the 3 highlighted goals in life.
Love this - thank you for sharing!
Francis Odhiambo Comorenos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-odhiambo-comorenos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Francis Odhiambo Comorenos »

I did the Crayon exercise, and looking at it I realized how little I actually need to leave a life that is self-fulfilling to me. I envision my future as a happily married man with three kids, a well spacious house in the suburbs, owning at least two cars a G-wagon and a Toyota Land Cruiser to be specific, and having two dogs as my pet. Lastly, one thing that I enjoy a lot is football, being able to successfully open and run a football academy as a coach will be the last cherry on the cake for me.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I did not do the crayon exercise. I have a nice thought-out vision in my head of a decent 4-bedroom house with a big kitchen and attached garage. I have already accomplished a family and a nice car etc. The last step is a house to live the rest of my life in hopefully full of love and grandkids in the distant future. I do think it is a very interesting idea and I can see how helpful it could be.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I absolutely want to do this! LOL! When I first read it, I felt like it was a silly exercise, but then as I kept reading, I was inspired by the idea of just letting my mind drift and dream. Instead of limiting myself, I can dream and create a picture of what we want in life. From there, we can decide what to keep and how to get there. I also love the idea of playing with new crayons. There's something about school supplies that makes life happy.
Le-nic Pretorius
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-nic-pretorius.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Le-nic Pretorius »

I also decided to try the crayon exercise seeing that I have three kids who love to draw and didn't need to go out and buy any. 🤣 I am very happy with my life at the moment and I think that I have achieved most of what I have drawn or written down but being a stay-at-home mom of three young kids has left me feeling lost at times and I want to find my identity as ‘myself’ again. I already have a great husband, kids, a house, and a dream car. I have added a couple of things as well for example I would love to adopt cats when my kids are older.
I decided to add more to what I would like to achieve mentally and physically - I want to complete my yoga hours, be more active with the kids, and therapy, and improve communication. I think this is a great start for me and I will keep adding to my crayon board and see where it leads me! Such a great exercise if you put your mind to it.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Silverblood Promise
Bookshelf Size: 2291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Faking Fairytales by Aimie O'Callahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I must admit I kind of skipped it because I was listening to audiobook and hanging clothes at the time...
I feel like I would need to pick it up again on Kindle and go through it more slowly. While audiobooks are handy some books are just ment to be read.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 22:13 My husband and I recently bought our first home- a major life goal for both of us! This has had us talking about our dreams frequently and what goals we can set to achieve them. I did the crayon exercise and thought afterwords about how cool it would be to frame it and hang it, to continually look to my dreams to reinforce my goals and hard work.

I think I would like to steal your dream for myself! I grew up skiing and on the water and I would love to have that for my kids one day.

Congrats to you and your husband for buying a home!
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I did the crayon exercise. I had a lot on my list and I feel the exercise helped me properly view them. I imagine a bakery, a beautiful home with a pool as I never really got to have one as a child, a loving partner, and a thriving business.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I plan on doing this exercise, sounded interesting and quite insightful. The idea of using words instead of pictures might defeat the purpose in that for this exercise to fully reach max utility, the vision must be as vivid and as personal as possible.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”