a controversial question

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

a controversial question

Post by Hager Salem »

I've been confused and would love to know what you all think.
If someone like our writer here took an unusual road, and made great success, can that be generalized?
I mean, this can't be standardized. So, what message are we delivering? We can't encourage not going to college, and we can't deny the success of some stories. So what do you think?
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I think the author was trying to make a point. College is not the only way. So often in today's world, if you have a blue-collar job, many think you must be poor or worse stupid.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

There are many roads to success. Persons may prefer working as a white collar worker, being an entrepreneur, a professional etc. We all are created differently and different things appeal to us.The author was articulating one such road - blue collar job.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I would consider this story as more of an alternative offer. like, if you failed college, don't automatically assume you failed life. Most of these stories are a result of people who couldn't go to college for one reason or another, and not about people who intentionally ditched college because why not
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I think there are many roads to success and many forms of it. What is success to you? Is it the fact of owning your own company which becomes your source of wealth like the author, is it having a stable job that you don’t need qualifications for, pays well and allows you to work towards delivering your goals? Some of the jobs listed in the appendix didn’t seem all that high paying to me, so I feel like the intention may be the latter and it’s about what you can do with your own life.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I agree with all the previous responses in this thread. I definitely don't think the book's message was to discourage going to college, but to show that it isn't the only way to have a successful career or life in general.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I think the key to an unusual road is that it can't exactly be replicated and that it is unable to be generalized. We can't generalize things because that just causes bigger issues further down the road.
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Hager Salem wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 13:32 I've been confused and would love to know what you all think.
If someone like our writer here took an unusual road, and made great success, can that be generalized?
I mean, this can't be standardized. So, what message are we delivering? We can't encourage not going to college, and we can't deny the success of some stories. So what do you think?
I don't think it is controversial. It depends on where you live, how and what success looks like according to society's standards. Also, the generation one comes from, and more factors. I think the author is trying to communicate that there are many paths to success. His was an unusual path in the society he lives in.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think it depends on how motivated you are - if you want to reach success, but don't necessarily have the extra funds for college, there are freelance jobs to build experience, and there are a lot of free courses online that can also help. These options might not have been there or so easily reachable in the earlier years, which might be why the traditional way, was to go to college to learn. I do believe there are options outside of college.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 17%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I guess it can seem risky to not go the collage path, as mentioned some type of studies can be risky too, since the competition there is high.
I think it's encouraging to see there are other options. If you fail collage, if you lose job or hate the job you do. That it's not collage Vs minimum salary.
Also it's encouraging for people that want to do something else than college but feel the society is pushing them that way.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I think our society has tried to generalize the other way, that college is the only route to success. Rusk simply seems to be advocating for choice. He states in the book that some careers require degrees, and NEED degrees. But simply attending college out of duty or a poorly thought out future isn’t the answer. He seems to be saying, “Hey! You CAN follow you passion and be successful, and that doesn’t ALWAYS mean college!”
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I think the author was trying to make the point that yes, going to college is great, but if you don't have the resources to follow that path, there are so many more paths that don't necessarily require you going to college. That is the way I view it.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 18:51 I think our society has tried to generalize the other way, that college is the only route to success. Rusk simply seems to be advocating for choice. He states in the book that some careers require degrees, and NEED degrees. But simply attending college out of duty or a poorly thought out future isn’t the answer. He seems to be saying, “Hey! You CAN follow you passion and be successful, and that doesn’t ALWAYS mean college!”
I completely agree with you. The author is only trying to change the narrative of college being the only way to success.
You can also make it without going to college.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

Most of us believe we can't achieve our life goals without going to college. So, in order not to be left behind, some of us find our way to college without any clear vision and end up being miserable.
Well, I think Rusk is letting someone like that know that they can actually make it without having to subject themselves to unnecessary torture. As long as they have a clear vision.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

There are numerous paths to success. People may favor working as professionals, business owners, white-collar workers, etc. We were all formed differently, and we all find different things appealing.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”