a controversial question

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: a controversial question

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

The author's aim was not to encourage not going to college, but instead, to open the world to all the other options that are available. I think making a living from a blue-collar job or some rare skill is widely underrated. Of course we cannot complete cancel college, but we have to accept that it is not the right path for everyone, especially considering the cost of tuition fees.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 16:35 I agree with all the previous responses in this thread. I definitely don't think the book's message was to discourage going to college, but to show that it isn't the only way to have a successful career or life in general.
I agree with you completely on this. The author clearly stated that same point in the book. There are some fields where a college degree is a must-have, but ultimately, it is not the only way.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

In my opinion, the author was attempting to make a point. The only option is not college. In today's society, having a blue-collar work is frequently associated with poverty, worse, or stupidity.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Going to college is not easy. Those who are not financialy capable shoud not forced themself to go to college. They can still have successful life without going to college. While those who are able to go to college, do it. Don't waste the opportunity. Because we read these book, we should not judge other because of their degree but the quality and integrity of their work.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I do not think the author was generally trying to discourage going to college. We should not just do it because everyone is doing it. We all have our own paths. We should discover what works and follow it.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I think this advice needs to be given to teenagers while they are at school. Too much emphasis is given to desk-based learning, and teachers constantly talk about when you go to college/university... I know this as I have three sons. The middle one was never interested in learning from a book to become a desk-based employee. We had constant arguments with the teachers who said he was too intelligent to get a manual job - what sort of message does this give to youngsters? We took him to job fairs and various apprenticeship open days; he is now a roofer and loving it. He is taking an evening class in business studies, but this is because he wants to be self-employed and eventually take on youngsters like himself. How can anyone say he is doing a job which only stupid people should do?
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

You’re right: it cannot be generalized. We’ll soon see the swing in the pendulum in the other direction-no educated workers for college-degree jobs.
When I taught high school, a young girl was torn because she wanted to go into missions right away, but her parents were pushing for her to go to college. I encouraged her to do the missions for several reasons:
First, mission boards are hesitant to take on those with large college debt.
Second, why? Why do you need a college degree to do missions work?
I think people get so hung up on the idea that if you don’t got to college right away, you never will. But how many older students are we seeing now because people are making the decision to go back to school.
It can’t be generalized. This book is great, but I think he actually takes the time to get to know each person he mentors before he gives them life-changing advice.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I think there's no one-size-fits-all. Everyone's path is unique. Everyone can achieve success by following different routes. Often times people follow what they know as tried as tested or the common path they know. This will be something different for each community.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I don't think question is controversial. I think the author was suggesting that the road to success comes in many different forms, and the traditional college education is not always the way.
Success is also something that is going to vary depending on where you live and what your personal beliefs of 'success' are.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Hager Salem wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 13:32 I've been confused and would love to know what you all think.
If someone like our writer here took an unusual road, and made great success, can that be generalized?
I mean, this can't be standardized. So, what message are we delivering? We can't encourage not going to college, and we can't deny the success of some stories. So what do you think?
Hmm, I think it can be generalized to a certain degree, as with anything. Just like college is not for everyone, especially as college becomes progressively more and more expensive, not going to college is also a path that people should be okay with. The thing we should be generalizing, which usually plays a very important part in someone's success, is their education. Regardless of formal education, knowledge can be learnt from books, from other people, and from experience. So though we can't generalize schooling specifically, we should do so when it comes to education, even if it's not formal education.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think the message is to consider all of the options. College isn’t for everyone- that doesn’t mean failure in any way. If college is looked at as the goal then people who don’t go think they failed at something before they really start their careers in any alternative field. You can be very successful financially without a college degree if you research your options and apply yourself.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

You raise a very relevant question. I was wondering the same thing when I noticed the author was not promoting conventional education. I think the author is simply trying to give an example to show there are always exceptions to everything. While college/university will increase the likelihood of career opportunity, working hard and being in the right place at the right time also have value.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

The aim of going to college, I think, has been misunderstood. I, myself, didn't finish college. I didn't see a need to because I wasn't there to better my life financially. I was there to improve my social life.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think the intention is to present alternatives. It provides hope and inspiration to those who do not believe they are destined for the traditional paths to success, such as earning a degree or becoming a professional. People may prefer to pursue the unconventional for a variety of reasons.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

It depends on your personality, life situations, and objectives. If the person has the brain and is capable of handling life and making a living without going to college, they can do it. It may not be a great example for everyone, though.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”