What is classed as a well paid job?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Re: What is classed as a well paid job?

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

Generally speaking I won't quantify a well paid job using the amount of money. I believe financial freedom looks different for different people. And the cost of living expenses is also different for people based on region and lifestyle. I'll say a well paid job is a job that pays more than adequately for an individual's lifestyle given their region.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

I consider a well paying job to be one that is adequate to meet your needs and to be able to prepare for the future.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I would say the definition of a well paid job depends greatly on where you live. Blue Collar Cash is very much set in the USA, but the standards in other countries do vary basednon cost of living. For example here in Australia an average wage is around 60k, so a well paid job would be roughly double that.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

If a job pays me enough to meet my basic needs, pay for my loans and taxes, and still have quite an amount leftover for leisure. That would be a well-paying job.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think a minimum of 70-80k would be my goal.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Any job that provides at least 80k per year is good for me, the appendix did list a few.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 12:25 In the appendix, Rusk lists a number of jobs and the average salary for that job. However, there was quite a range in the average salary, some of which I wouldn’t personally have counted as being a well paying job. What would be your threshold or aim when reading this book?
A well paid job is dependent on where you live. If you live in New York, just your rent would make you get a high paying job, while in lower-rent areas, you'd be able to get a lower-earning job. Your aim should be to be able to afford some sort of housing, preferably a house as it accumulates wealth as a property, being able to pay your bills on time, and being able to live comfortably with some cushion in case an emergency arises. I think for a lot of people, 60k might be a good baseline if you don't live somewhere expensive, even if you have a family.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Kat Hall 2 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 20:20 It depends on where you live. I consider anything over $60K a well-paying job where I live. But people in NYC or San Francisco would disagree.
I agree with you on this, the number and salary requirement would differ from state to state. I also feel that medical benefits should be a part of this too.
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

Cher432 wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 01:02 A well-paying job depends on your cost of living. You could be earning $100k but live in an expensive city like New York, which would eat up most of your money. Conversely, you could be earning $60k and live in a lower cost of living area giving you more room in your budget. I consider a well-paying job to be one that allows you to save a portion of your income while covering all of your bills comfortably.
I have to agree. Where you live makes a great difference in what might be considered a well-paying job. But also even more important are your aspirations, your attitudes, and your ability to manage whatever finances your job provides. I believe that if you have an income that allows you to pay the bills and bank some savings every month, you have a well-paying job. And if there is money left for entertainment and luxuries without scrimping, then you probably have more money than many of us.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

A well-paid job for me would mean good enough to suffice for all the necessities and also have enough to save for the future and at the same time spend on some moderate luxury. Among the listed jobs, a 40-50k one may be well-paid for one but not for another depending upon the dependents on that single source of income and the nature of necessary expenses.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

For me, a well paying job is one that pays what needs paid, gives me money to enjoy some life freedoms and save a bit also. The amount for that kind of life depends on a lot of variables and how each person views their own needs
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It all depends on your situation, in my opinion. Some factors to consider include the cost of living, benefits, job sustainability and stability, stress levels, and workplace hazards. Some jobs are low-paying but offer excellent benefits.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Krista Kirby-Dempsey wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 19:07 I think well-paying jobs are jobs where you can survive on 1 income and not multiple incomes. I also think that the amount of experience/schooling required for the job also plays a part.
Anything that gets you by comfortably can be considered a good paying job. Great point!
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Personally, I feel a well-paid job is one that can sufficiently provide for a family, though this depends greatly on their standard of living and the economy. Most of all, a well paid job should give one peace of mind.
Anee Dede
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anee-dede.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Anee Dede »

Krista Kirby-Dempsey wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 19:07 I think well-paying jobs are jobs where you can survive on 1 income and not multiple incomes. I also think that the amount of experience/schooling required for the job also plays a part.
A well-paid job is one where the compensation, including salary and benefits, is considered generous compared to other positions in the same field or location. It usually reflects a higher level of skill, experience, or demand for the job.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”