What is classed as a well paid job?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

What is classed as a well paid job?

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

In the appendix, Rusk lists a number of jobs and the average salary for that job. However, there was quite a range in the average salary, some of which I wouldn’t personally have counted as being a well paying job. What would be your threshold or aim when reading this book?
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

Personally, I think that any job that can generate over 100k a year would be considered a well paid job.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Alice Fu wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 17:24 Personally, I think that any job that can generate over 100k a year would be considered a well paid job.
I don’t think there were many in the appendix that were over 100k though. I had the audio book so it’s not so easy to go back and check, but the majority were starting 40-50k with some under 30k. Being from the UK, in £s that would be very good starting salaries but I know that it’s not so great in $s, which is what is being quoted.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I think well-paying jobs are jobs where you can survive on 1 income and not multiple incomes. I also think that the amount of experience/schooling required for the job also plays a part.
Kat Hall 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-hall-2.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Kat Hall 2 »

It depends on where you live. I consider anything over $60K a well-paying job where I live. But people in NYC or San Francisco would disagree.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 17%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I think it really depends on your life circumstances. Where you live, what do you want from life, how much you are spending...
Also, you can consider the payment vs the difficulty of the job and the time it takes from you? Maybe some less paying job that leaves you at peace in your free time would be considered well-paying, while some that earns you a lot more but constantly stays on your mind might just not be worth the gain?
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

100k in Rand is not great at all. It works out under R9000 per month, where housing for a single-bedroom flat, is between R5-6K. Which leaves under R3k for a car or public transport, groceries, etc. per month. Which is nothing actually. I believe R150k per year is a good salary and anything higher can become financially comfortable if you keep an eye on your expenses. In dollars, the rand is multiplied by R16/17 so there is a huge difference between $100K and R100k. I would most definitely be more than happy and comfortable with $100K per year.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

A well-paying job for me is one that I can live on sustainably. I would for a job that lets me pay all my bills, and enjoy my life. Rusk advocates for financial freedom. If you’re worrying about your bills while making 80k a year, that’s not financial freedom. If I can make 45k and pay my bills and enjoy my life, that’s well-paying enough for me. All about perspective and YOUR vision of your future I think!
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I think I would class a well-paying job as one that I could comfortably support myself with. Enough to cover rent, food, and necessities like phones, electricity, and water. If I don't have to worry about making it to the next pay day, then it is definitely a well paying job.
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

This depends highly on the standard of living where the individual resides.
So in that case, I'll ask myself how much I'll save in a month after paying my bills. If I could save anything above $300, then it's well-paying.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

A well-paying job depends on your cost of living. You could be earning $100k but live in an expensive city like New York, which would eat up most of your money. Conversely, you could be earning $60k and live in a lower cost of living area giving you more room in your budget. I consider a well-paying job to be one that allows you to save a portion of your income while covering all of your bills comfortably.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Any job that generates more than 100k a year is a good job
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

This hugely depends on one's person standard or living and the state and economy as well. In some country, the government provides basic amenities and needs. Still the citizens pay huge taxes. In other country, it could be the reverse and still in others, both factors could be negative. For me a good paying job, is one that will grant me the financial freedom I need to be happy.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I think the definition of a well-paying job is relative to where one lives. A job that can provide you with financial freedom and comfortably pay the bills is a well-paying job.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

Kat Hall 2 wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 20:20 It depends on where you live. I consider anything over $60K a well-paying job where I live. But people in NYC or San Francisco would disagree.
I agree 100%. It's completely dependent on where you live. The cost of living makes a big difference.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”