What is classed as a well paid job?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2022 Book of the Month, "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=495665

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: What is classed as a well paid job?

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

A lot of aspects determine whether a job is high paying or not. For example, background, location and levels of qualification count. As a South African from a previously disadvantaged background and no college education, a job paying R600K (roughly $35K) would generally be considered a very high paying job.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 01 Dec 2022, 02:32 100k in Rand is not great at all. It works out under R9000 per month, where housing for a single-bedroom flat, is between R5-6K. Which leaves under R3k for a car or public transport, groceries, etc. per month. Which is nothing actually. I believe R150k per year is a good salary and anything higher can become financially comfortable if you keep an eye on your expenses. In dollars, the rand is multiplied by R16/17 so there is a huge difference between $100K and R100k. I would most definitely be more than happy and comfortable with $100K per year.
I agree with you, i think location matters greatly in this regard. Financially comfortable in your terms would not be considered a high paying job in the USA since R150k is less than $10K.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

That's very true! The location is very important*
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 12:25 In the appendix, Rusk lists a number of jobs and the average salary for that job. However, there was quite a range in the average salary, some of which I wouldn’t personally have counted as being a well paying job. What would be your threshold or aim when reading this book?
Well, I feel any job from 75k annually is great. I mean a full-time job.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

According to my personal opinion, lucrative jobs are those in which you can make it on one salary alone rather than several. I also believe that the quantity of training/experience needed for the position also has an impact.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I think well-paying jobs are jobs that can comfortably cater for our needs and provide us with financial freedom. This is hugely dependent on where we live as cost of living might be higher or lower.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

for me being able to rent a decent house, eat what you want when you want, have the ability to travel or do extracurricular activities, and save is a well-paying job. otherwise, it's just a being able to survive job.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Chinedu Nwakaji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-nwakaji.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Chinedu Nwakaji »

A well-paid job isn't just about the figures or the value of the salary. It's about its ability to solve one's needs considering the cost of living and standard of living in one's locality.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

A well paid job is a job with a salary that can pay off your monthly bill and still enough for you to spent on yourself. For me that is the definition of a well paid job.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I think that any job that pays the bills, feeds the family, buys a car, gives a couple of holidays a year, and allows for Christmas birthdays and treats is well paid. I don't think a well-paid job is all about BIG money; having enough for your needs plus a little to save is enough for me as I also have a job which I am very happy doing ( which is worth more to me than a huge amount of money)
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 02:45 A well-paid job is a job with a salary that can pay off your monthly bill and still enough for you to spent on yourself. For me that is the definition of a well-paid job.
Agreed! That is if one has control over their monthly expenses. Otherwise, that salary will not be enough if one goes on regular shopping sprees! Because no matter how much you earn it will never be enough to cover frivolous expenditure.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I believe that jobs that pay well are ones that allow you to get by on one income rather than several. I also believe that the quantity of training/experience needed for the position also has an impact.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I think this depends on where you live. Rather than giving a specific amount, I'd say if the job pays your bills, supports the family (if you have one), and still leaves you enough to enjoy your life a little and save some dimes for bad days, it is a job decently paid. Furthermore, I think everyone has to define by themselves what is the amount of money they need to get by and be happy with their circumstances.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I’d say it depends on the country one their staying in and how many dependents they have (if they have any) but I think $50k is a yearly salary for an average job.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

A well paying job may be really tiresome, such that you don't enjoy doing it. However, any job that you enjoy doing, that pays up the bill, and even give room for savings, is what I'll call a well paying job.

Return to “Discuss "Blue-Collar Cash: Love Your Work, Secure Your Future, and Find Happiness for Life" by Ken Rusk"”