What type of non-fiction do you prefer? (Nov '22)

For November 2022, we will be reading Non-Fiction books.

What type of non-fiction do you prefer?

Humor
10%
Biography/Autobiography/Memoirs
10%
History
13%
Travel
5%
Self-Help
15%
Academic
3%
Essay(s)
No votes
Religion/Spirituality
3%
Philosophy
5%
Health & Wellness
5%
Crafts & Hobbies
13%
Parenting
10%
Other?
8%

Total votes: 39

Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What type of non-fiction do you prefer? (Nov '22)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What type of non-fiction do you prefer? You can choose as many options as you like! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It’s so funny because I would normally say, “I don’t read much non-fiction”, but looking at this poll, I’m not sure how true that is now. I read parenting stuff all the time, I recently finished a non-fiction book, and I have one in mind for this month. :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I am a sucker for a self help book. I love filling my brain with new ideas, and learning how to be a better human. Next up are probably memoirs/autobiographies.

Now that I think of it, I could probably use a good parenting book on teenagers!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

meadowsem wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 17:40 I am a sucker for a self help book. I love filling my brain with new ideas, and learning how to be a better human. Next up are probably memoirs/autobiographies.

Now that I think of it, I could probably use a good parenting book on teenagers!
I love that! I’m learning to appreciate others’ insights and perspectives on things, as the years go on, and reading a self-help can definitely do that.

Memoirs/autobiographies are great!

So far, I’ve just done baby and toddler parenting books and articles since I have one of each, but a teen one could definitely be eye-opening!
Heidi

Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

I definitely prefer fiction books, but I like parenting books for sure! I hadn’t considered other books like cook books!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Julie Gebrosky wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:59 I definitely prefer fiction books, but I like parenting books for sure! I hadn’t considered other books like cook books!
I also prefer fiction, but there have definitely been some non-fiction that I’ve enjoyed, too!

Ooo…cookbooks! That’s a good one! I especially like reading dessert-based recipes! :D
Heidi

Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

hsimone wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:24
meadowsem wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 17:40 I am a sucker for a self help book. I love filling my brain with new ideas, and learning how to be a better human. Next up are probably memoirs/autobiographies.

I love that! I’m learning to appreciate others’ insights and perspectives on things, as the years go on, and reading a self-help can definitely do that.

So far, I’ve just done baby and toddler parenting books and articles since I have one of each, but a teen one could definitely be eye-opening!
Parenting toddlers is NO JOKE. My favorite method that I used to survive my children's toddler-hood was from the book 1, 2, 3 Magic. Four out of four highly recommend.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

meadowsem wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 12:18
hsimone wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:24

Parenting toddlers is NO JOKE. My favorite method that I used to survive my children's toddler-hood was from the book 1, 2, 3 Magic. Four out of four highly recommend.
Hahaha, I know, right? I personally like the “no, I don’t want it.” Two seconds, “yes, I want it.”

Our pediatrician recommended the “1, 2, 3 Magic” book, too. After a month or so when our baby was born, our toddler went through phase of acting like a baby. Still creeps up (baby is 5 months old), but a lot better than before. We didn’t use the method in the book. Didn’t seem like right fit for our toddler right now. Definitely have in the back of my mind in case we need it later though!

I like some of the things in “The Happiest Toddler on the Block” and we have used some of those tips.

Every kid is so different. Glad there are different ways parents can help their toddlers through such a tough stage. 💕
Heidi

Agbugba Chinedu Leslie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbugba-chinedu-leslie.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Agbugba Chinedu Leslie »

History is by far my favourite type of nonfiction. I am in love 🥰
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Withecrown wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 13:52 History is by far my favourite type of nonfiction. I am in love 🥰
That's wonderful to hear! I think it depends on how the non-fiction text is written in order for me to enjoy reading a history book. Even though I'm an adult with two kiddos, I find that if I read a YA version of history, the information sinks in better for me.

Glad you love reading history! :)
Heidi

Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

So no one here likes non fiction about essays? Weird :mrgreen2:
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Mayang Bature wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 02:02 So no one here likes non fiction about essays? Weird :mrgreen2:
:lol: When I think of essays, I think of those 5-paragraph essays that I had to write in high school, and how I really couldn't stand writing them. I think this steers me away in reading non-fiction in essay form, in general.
Heidi

Return to “November 2022 Genre Discussion”