Kindle vs Nook?

Use this forum to discuss the Nook by Barnes and Noble. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Nook, deciding which nook to buy, or you already have a Nook and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Nooks.
Tatiana19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Kindle vs Nook?

Post by Tatiana19 »

:techie-studyingbrown:

I currently have a kindle but I think it's about 6 or 7 years old!
Now that I'm trying to get back into reading I'm thinking of upgrading but am seeing people talk about Nooks?
Must admit I hadn't heard of this before so I'm just wanting to know the main difference between Kindle and Nook? Or is it like the Apple vs Android debate? :lol:
If it makes a difference, I am an android user and have a Microsoft laptop.

Thanks in advance!
Wilson0323
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Cabin
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Wilson0323 »

Tatiana

I think one of the most interesting distinctions between the Nook and Kindle is that the Kindle Paper-white version is waterproof and can even be submerged for a certain length of time. A unique feature of the Barnes and Noble Nook is that it has an actual button that allows you to turn the pages.

Both the Nook and Kindle have entry level, middle of the line and top models. You can find entry level Kindle Fire tablets for roughly $79 dollars and Nook entry level tablets for under $100.

Battery life of both tablets is similar boasting either a month long or weeks long battery sustainability.
Tatiana19
Currently Reading:

Post by Tatiana19 »

I take it you order books from Barnes and Noble for the Nook then? Do you know if you can use books from Amazon by any chance?

Thanks in advance :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Tatiana19 wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 22:13 I take it you order books from Barnes and Noble for the Nook then? Do you know if you can use books from Amazon by any chance?

Thanks in advance :)
I have a kindle. You need a kindle or its App to buy and read books from Amazon.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
unencumbered
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unencumbered.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by unencumbered »

As far as I know, the Nook runs a shorter battery life, and is the outgrowth of the Barnes and Noble booksellers who mainly sell best-sellers, and the most prominent authors, unlike Amazon which seems to stock more products which are less mainstream, as well as the popular titles, and have better battery life.
I live in Australia, and also use Android for both my phone and tablet and Nook isn't available via playstore. I'm not sure whether you have access to the Nook app where you live, but worth checking that out first.
Regarding kindle/amazon kindle unlimited. You can subscribe for $13.99 p/m and have access to over a million titles without added costings. It's annoying to purchase e-books while paying this subscription fee, and oftentimes I find titles which seem ridiculously over-priced, for e-books, and sometimes stop reading e-books while I source a physical copy, and read that instead. But I'm not familiar with Nook's progress since I owned mine around ten years ago.
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

I have a kindle on my apple Ipad, It is quite enlightening hearing about the Barnes and Noble's nook and their entry level. I will explore more
BELENmj

Post by BELENmj »

"The original Nook has an electronic ink display for viewing digital content, and a color touch screen for browsing and viewing additional content. The Color Nook has a single, larger LCD screen; Pages are turned with arrow buttons on the side. The original Nook connects to the Barnes & Noble online store using a free 3G connection, using the AT&T network, or via a Wi-Fi connection. It is possible to read electronic books without having a connection available; Disabling the connection can lengthen the battery charge by more than ten days,"
"On a Kindle, users have access to dictionary definitions in the book, the Word Wise vocabulary builder, and the X-ray scanner. The scanner allows readers to quickly read a book to find references to characters, events, references and other information."
Bumbly_Sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bumbly-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bumbly_Sunshine »

I decidedly had told my mother-in-law, upon her asking me, to NOT get me a Kindle for Christmas a few years ago due to the fact I already had a Nook.

She bought me the Kindle anyway.

I can say after attempting to use the Kindle with no experience of the sort with Amazon, furthermore with the Kindle in general, I had a horrific time trying to navigate the device and trying to figure out the available reads from the unavailable ones. It sounds rather petty and pathetic to say, of course, after having used a Nook for so long, that I appreciate the Nook so much more after never having used a Kindle up until that point. I can't quite place my figure on the whole of the issue, but I did realize after having used the Kindle in that one instance, that quite a few more books available through the Nook, even by rather large authors, sold for a grand less amount than on the Kindle.

I suppose though, that if you are more of an audio learning type of individual your more adept to listening to a book than actually reading one.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Both have their own pros and cons but I would prefer kindle more because of the wide range of choices on the selection of the books and the simple features that are very easy to use.
Juho

Post by Juho »

Two of the biggest e-book readers are the Kindle and the Nook, due in part to being from two of the biggest names in selling books. Kindle is from Amazon while the Nook is from Barnes and Noble. This is probably the most significant difference between the two if you prefer Amazon over B&N or the other way around.
Personally, I haven't used Nook but have read somewhere the differences between the Nook and Kindle as below-

1. The Kindle is from Amazon while the Nook is from Barnes and Noble
2. The Kindle uses a keyboard for input while the Nook uses a touch screen display
3. The Kindle does not have a microSD slot like the Nook has
4. The Kindle has an integrated battery while that of the Nook is user-replaceable
5. The Kindle lacks the LendMe feature of the Nook.

The Barnes & Noble Nook has some nice touches, but the Amazon Kindle is faster, easier to use, and has access to a larger store.
Mohammad_Iqbal
Favorite Author: James E Doucette
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammad-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 117197

Post by Mohammad_Iqbal »

I am currently using a kindle which is not mine, it belongs to my friend. I find a physical book more attractive than a kindle. I personally feel that when I read in kindle continuously I won't find the difference because there is no book cover page or any print about the book. In a case of a physical book I can look at the book, I can feel the thickness and I can know for sure that I can read it in some fixed date or just to feel.
There are of course advantages of kindle like you can carry it anywhere and takes minor space.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Do you need to have a monthly subscription with either?
rynid13

Post by rynid13 »

I have a Kindle Fire and do not like it -- my daughter had a Nook, that stopped working but is smaller and easier to hold. My Kindle is the size of a small tablet, which makes it too big to read using one hand. Also several apps come pre-loaded that take up memory, and I do not use them and never will. I just want to use an ereader for reading. I prefer books but even paperbacks are just far too costly these days and my library has such reduced hours I can never return books on time, it's more economical to just buy Kindle books. Eventually the libraries will start their used book sales again, but until then...I recommend the Nook.
petra tucci
Currently Reading: The Fifth Gospel
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by petra tucci »

Reading through all posts, I'll stick to the traditional paperback book.
When I have enough courage and confidence, I'll switch over.
holidaymaker

Post by holidaymaker »

The main difference between the Nook and the Kindle is the Nook is all touchscreen where the Kindle is not. This requires the reader to press a button to change the page versus being able to tap the screen to turn the page. The Nook has expandable memory up to 32GB.

Return to “Nook Discussion and Support”