Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Re: Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

What I liked best about the AI was its well-organized system, which provides convenience and comfort. What I disliked was the lack of privacy and independence.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

My favourite part of living with artificial intelligence is definitely how it alleviates your workloads and assists you in carrying out some specific intellectual tasks. My least favourite part of living with artificial intelligence is definitely that it threatens to push more and more people out of the labour market.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I'd love AIs to make my life easier, like the ones that serve coffee, if they're taking away my decisions, like deciding what I'll eat on any given day, then that's going a bit too far!

In my real life, I've yet to find a use where I wouldn't be comfortable with them... Yet.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I certainly liked the idea of a house bot and any aspect of AI that makes life easier and more convenient, I'm certainly going to be a fan of, but I definitely wouldn't like anything telling me what I can or can't eat.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

My fav parts from the ones used in the book are- the transportation system they maintained in that world. It sounds amazing! The fridge a.i and the dating a.i are not too bad if they take into account the owner authority more into decision making. the dating a.i is kind of present in real world as dating apps i.e. choosing partners based on preferences input into an app. but they did annoy me a lot when the choices and decisions were against the wishes of the owner, which is wrong.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I liked the idea of having a housebot but not the part about being unable to choose what food to eat every day. Overall, AI would make all of our lives easier but it would end up controlling our every move, and that terrified me.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The food is undoubtedly my least favorite part of having AI. I would never permit a machine to decide what meals I consume. The transit network is my favorite feature. No jousting or snatching of other people's spots is taking place, and everything is in order.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

Some of the benefits of using AI in everyday life include efficiency, medical advancements, safety, and personalization, while some of the disadvantages include privacy concerns, dependence, job displacement, and bias. Overall, the advantages and disadvantages of AI in everyday life are determined by how it is used and regulated.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

My favorite thing about the AI is the orderliness with which everything was done. The transportation system was especially great. But tbh, the bad parts like excessive control, unnecessary punishments, and suppression, definitely outweighed the good of AI in that society.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

My favorite is also the convenience of the transportation system and the least is losing the freedom to choose what I eat, so it's about the AI fridge. Also, the public Chit Chat of your whereabouts.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:13 My favorite aspect of living with artificial intelligence is the order they try to maintain such as in the transportation system, etc. However it should never be allowed to control our fridges and what we eat, this was too extreme.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in the protagonists' daily lives?
I actually liked the controlling fridge part. I mean, it's actually suggesting healthy foods to eat (even though, granted, tofu is rather dull to eat). But really, I'd actually like a fridge that recommends and provides healthy foods to eat since it can be such a hassle to maintain a healthy lifestyle. My least favourite was definitely the TV programs and the clothing.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

My favorite will be definitely the food!! I hate cooking and every day I have to think about what I have to cook. I got bored with what I cooked and of course, if something will cook for me, it would spare my time to do other things that I love.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by britcott30 »

And my least favorite will be the part where AI starts to control my life. I can't stand if every move I make would be controlled by AI.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:13 My favorite aspect of living with artificial intelligence is the order they try to maintain such as in the transportation system, etc. However it should never be allowed to control our fridges and what we eat, this was too extreme.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in the protagonists' daily lives?
Yes, it is definitely the transportation system and duty assignment given to society that is the merit of artificial intelligence but when it comes to food we eat, and the water we take in and use, I don't think that AI has to be in control of that.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I would love to have a housebot! I also like VR events with friends but not as all your social life interactions. Maybe just when we need to chat about something but we are far away. I would definitely not like my fridge to choose my food though. Kale and quinoa + microwave .. Bah!

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”