Overall rating and opinion of"Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Re: Overall rating and opinion of"Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Alex Reeves »

I believe that a perfect rating is more suitable for a book like this. The fact that robots constitute a large part of the plot endears the book to me. I've always been intrigued by artificial intelligence, and the plot of this book only makes it all the more exciting. I consider it as Sci-fi, because it's mostly about scientific stuffs. However, it does contain erotic scenes though. The cover and title actually made it look less sci-fi, and at first glance I thought it was a book about psychology. Greatest lesson is that the hands of the law always catches up with the villians. And finally, yes, I'll recommend it to anyone I care about. The feeling it brought into me after reading it is one I would love to share with others.
Blackstenius
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

The book's genre is Sci-Fi/Fantasy. The part I liked the most is the Creation/Awakening part; that process of breaking symmetry between Kim and Kimberley was really exciting. Their expedition into the forbidden areas was a fun part too. Another part I liked was the part where the Director is given the chance to explain her position, the why and how she ended up at that powerful position where most of the authoritarian decisions are made. I disliked the hypocrisy of the Hierarchy. I was also really confused about some of the minor characters' genders, especially Kim's sexual partners. But the part where Kim asked Shan where she got the map from, was thought provoking. Like, Shan explaining that she got it from "a place called the library" was like...wow, it got me thinking of the possibility of such things being extinct someday. The greatest lesson I learnt was, I/we should not take our freedom for granted, because one day it could be a rare thing, it might be nonexistent. And yes, I'd recommend the book to others.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

In my opinion, this is excellent example of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and I am confused by lower than stellar overall rating. The world author created, the social processes described, deep thoughts regarding lots of subjects including child upbringing and especially the storyline itself - all factors adds up to very good work, which deserves highest marks!
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I love how Craig W. Stanfill has managed to come up with a whole set of neutral words that favor a neutral future world. By that I mean the days of the week, which are now called from Oneday to Sevenday. I believe that the whole process was very complex, not at all easy and this is also my favorite aspect of the book.
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill is a sci-fi novel about a community under the control of artificial intelligence, lack of autonomy, and rebellion. The book has an engaging plot, the main protagonist has good character development and concise world-building. I found the author’s creative choices to be unique, such as the use of only feminine pronouns and naming the days of the week Oneday to Sevenday. The book was also very well edited; there were no grammatical or spelling errors.
Kim’s dates and sexual excursions became repetitive and boring; they were unnecessary and slowed down the pace of the book.
I would recommend the book to others due to the interesting and unique concept; it is also a good conversation piece.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

"Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" is science-fiction book. The story is set in a futuristic environment dominated (but not completely) by Artificial Intelligence. The elite of this society is made-up of humans and they still control the AI who, in return impose many inhuman rules to the rest of the population. The protagonist, Kim, is one of the compliant people who works for the Company. As the story unfolds, Kim goes through a journey of self-discovery. While accessing a promotion in her career, she realizes that some things are not what they seem like. She questions her past and she is curious about her birth mother who gave her up. She also questions her identity and the system... I like that the explanations on how the AI are made and how they function are made accessible to someone like me with no knowledge on this field. Despite being so different from today's world, everything is described clearly; you could imagine the scenes without much effort. I command the author's imagination. In the story, some people managed to stay free and away from the AI and the robots; I was disappointed that not much was said about them. I thought the story would be about freeing the World from the AI. But it is not just any other science-fiction right? That's what makes this book stand out from the rest, the story is original. I would recommend this book to everyone, particularly to readers who love technology and AI.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Sci-fi dystopia, it hurts me to read it. The style is pleasant, the plot dynamic, and the characters well-drawn, but the possibility of such a future for humans makes me sad. I definitely wouldn't like to be compelled to eat certain things at certain hours! I couldn't live in such a bleak world.
Sydney Ash
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I think this was a very deep read. The author did a great job with his storyline, however, it was too complex for me! I would rate it a 3/5.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

The book is an interesting read. It begins with a character named Kim, a trainer of automatons. She works at an Artificial Intelligence Company.
This book questions a lot about the dynamics of technology and how much control it can establish. We also get to experience Kim's intimate and romantic life. The AIs have established some kind of norm to monitor and evaluate humans, beginning from their infancy to later stages.
The storyline is curated in a manner that each character plays a unique role, which fits perfectly. It's somewhat a dystopian society, so every individual has a functional role. Nevertheless, I find it engaging and would recommend it!
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

The book is beautiful. I don't think there is anything I disliked about it. I would definitely recommend the book to lovers of science fiction. It involves the use of AI technology which is amazing. I learned a lot about artificial intelligence.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

Both the title and cover of the book seem appropriate for this type of book and are very attractive. Also, the cover and the title of the book fit well. I think it would be wrong to place the book in only one genre. In my humble opinion, apart from science fiction, the book could be justifiably viewed as a dystopian novel, but also as a kind of techno-thriller.
BruceP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucep.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by BruceP »

In my opinion, this is a fantastic book that anyone can enjoy reading. The feature that I loved about this book was it's cover. It is amazing. There is nothing I don't like about this book.This is a book that I would recommend to readers who enjoy fictional stories. Moreover, the author's writing style is outstanding and magical. I loved it.
BruceP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brucep.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by BruceP »

This book, in my opinion, it is a masterpiece. It deserves a perfect rating. What I liked the most about it is the cover. It is symbolic. There was nothing I didn't like about this book. I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for inspiring stories. There were several lessons I took from this book. Resilience was the one I appreciated the most.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This seems like an informative book about life generally. Things are subject to change at any time without notice. People change, events change, and that's what life entails. The author's writing style is simple. I didn't dislike anything in it. The non-fiction genre must have been incorporated into it.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

This book appears to be educational about life in general. Things could alter at any time without prior notice. Life involves changes in both people and circumstances. The author's writing is straightforward. I didn't have any issues with it. There must have been some integration of the non-fiction genre.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”