What are your take away from the book " Term of Service: Subject to Change without notice by Craig W. stanfill

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ayomidekenny2
Currently Reading: Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomidekenny2.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

What are your take away from the book " Term of Service: Subject to Change without notice by Craig W. stanfill

Post by Ayomidekenny2 »

One thing stood out for me and it is the fact that there are long term consequences to passive acceptance and things can go terribly wrong with minimal effort
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

The main thing that has stayed with me from this book is the fact that most of us like technology and want the most up-to-date models. 'Terms of Service' has made me question my own concept of the future and the fact that all the technology COULD, in the end, lead to a dystopian world of our own making! A scary thought!
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

One of the things that stood out for me was the way technology, in the form of AI, took over the society. It makes me envision where we are headed as a people. If it's not too far into the future, in the next 100 years, most of the things we read in the book could be our reality; robots will control everything, including what we eat. We may as well start getting used to that possibility.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I appreciated how the author put everything under a microscope. I personally appreciate the amount of AI in my life but the idea that AI could rise up and destroy humans is rather scary, haha. Give me a housebot before we destroy it all, though, okay?
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

Independent thinking trumps passiveness. A world completely controlled by AI can take away the simple pleasures of life, such as taking your time and living in the moment.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I don't think I would like AI to take over the world, especially as depicted in this book. It would make me miss out on a lot of things. All in all, this book was really interesting.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

My take home from this book simply put, is that one's desires may cost one more than what he bargained for. For instance, I used to be an advocate of AI deployment in all facets of life, now, I have a rethink because I have seen it's adverse effects and I do not like them.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

The one point that resonated with me was that it seemed like everyone was bound to fall eventually. Some may never rise through the ranks and are doomed to live a miserable life, but the system works AGAINST everyone (except the hierarchy).
Maryam Newman
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryam-newman.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Maryam Newman »

It's so tempting to think, "If only we had a strong enough authority to pull everyone into line, we'd all live happier, more peaceful lives." The truth is that yes, it would be more peaceful, but no, it would not be happier. If you consider that "peace" entails an absence of chaos, then there is no way that we could live in a totally peaceful society without sacrificing all the chaotic aspects of humanity, specifically our unfettered emotional expression that is essential to creativity. It was fascinating that the AI Company specifically targeted people with a propensity for disobedience to nurture to eventually become AI creators, because that need for chaotic expression is exactly what is required to produce independent thought. My take-away is really confirmation of my belief that Utopia can only be achieved through self-selected self-governance, not externally imposed restriction. That being said, where do I sign up for a housebot?
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This book showed me what I don't want to happen. Technology is everywhere and everyone always wants the latest, newest, and best. The people creating tech gadgets, always want to make them better and upgrade everything. It is scary if you think about what technology can actually do and we are the ones creating it and constantly making it better.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do agree that apathy has its dangers, but so does standing your ground. I think the changes made to this society took place over such a long time, and were so small that the residents just took them for granted as being right.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I grabbed from this book that one's visions or goals may not necessarily be ones that would help the world positively as they may think. Also, it make me envision what the world may look like in time to come following present situations.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

One thing that stood out to me in the book was how realistic it felt. I couldn’t help but imagine where our present world would be in the next fifty years while I read this book.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

The main aim of the Terms of service is to prevent the development of selfist or distinctivism tendencies from the city’s residents. But they appear draconian because they infringe on people’s rights to expression as we know them in our present world.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

There are a lot of things to learn in this book, depending on individual inclinations and appreciation of it. Personally, I learn that there is a sort of danger or consequence in almost every opportunity; that is technology also has its bad effects.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”