Kim as the MC

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Re: Kim as the MC

Post by Olga Markova »

I fully agree, I absolutely love Kim. She has a dynamic and strong personality capable of standing up for herself. I also liked how she managed the bike ride crisis and negotiated with the AIs the way back with the AIs.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

abstactlemon wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 00:11 What did you think of Kim as the main character of the book? I personally love her. She was fierce and when it really comes down to it, she is unwilling to back down without a fight.
I really liked Kim too, she was the best towards the end of the book. That was when she realized the manipulation of the system she lives in, and she turns against it. I mean, wouldn't you? Because I sure would.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:55 I loved Kim as the main character. Even though there wasn’t really a description of her, I felt that readers could relate to her. She tried to play by the rules, but was also inwardly fighting against the hierarchy. I thought she was a very relatable character!
I kind of liked that there was no description of Kim! It's something that's not important in the novel because appearance does not matter. It just goes to show how much the author put into his worldbuilding. I wonder what everyone else imagined Kim as.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

I loved Kim as the main character. The various qualities she embodied endeared me to her, and while reading I earnestly prayed to see her overcome all her obstacles.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I really liked her and how she could be defiant at times. She reminds me very much so of Katniss from the Hunger Games.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I loved Kim. I think her flaws made her more human in world where humans look like machines. And I also loved Kim and Kimberly's moments. Kim was fierce and unwilling to let go without a fight.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

She was a persistent and determined character, I liked every aspect that she portrayed. She was also caring, for example she tried to teach and nurture Kimberly who was just an AI like her own kid. She was also open minded and inquisitive.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I was a big fan of Kim. She is a strong believer who will stand up for her principles. I loved how Kim started to doubt her "perfect world" when she noticed that her work had become monotonous and dull and that it was actually very faulty.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I believe Kim is a perfect main character because of how flawed and real she appears, and how you can see her development throughout the story. Kim isn't afraid to stand up for what she believes in.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Savina Visintin »

Kim is a character that I liked very much because she slowly becomes aware of the world she lives in (I've hoped for this since the beginning). The book allows you to follow this development well, so I think the character is very interesting.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

abstactlemon wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 00:11 What did you think of Kim as the main character of the book? I personally love her. She was fierce and when it really comes down to it, she is unwilling to back down without a fight.
I agree that Kim was a good main character. However, I found it hard and I just couldn't connect with her. Mostly because I'm still not even sure of her gender. I mean, I wouldn't have cared either way, but one of the main arcs of the story is her sexuality. I would have also loved to read more about her other friends.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Kim is an amazing main character. So easy to understand and relate to. And I think she was super well-developed. Her growth throughout the book is incredible and appropriate. At the beginning, she is a very "normal" citizen and then as the story unfolds, events trigger her rebellious spirit. I loved it
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

She was definitely a lovely and admirable iteration of the female protagonist in this novel who embodied bravery, boldness, courage and a readiness to take action at every point in time.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I liked her, although in some points I really though she was been quite infantile and naïve, even when she becomes defiant (sometimes seems almost like a girl having a tantrum)
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Overall, Kim was likeable and relatable. She had gifts and flaws just like everyone else does. She had feelings and instincts that she simply could not ignore, no matter how much the Hierarchy urged her to suppress them. However, remember that everyone in this world is called "she" whether they are male or female. Since Kim's anatomy was never described in the book, it still bugs me that I wasn't quite sure whether Kim was actually a man or a woman.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”