Blend of different books and fiction

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Blend of different books and fiction

Post by abstactlemon »

What do you think of how the book blends a lot of different pieces of fiction? In my review of the sequel Prophecy of the Heron, which I read first, I mention that the book is Fahrenheit 451 meets The Hunger Games meets The Matrix yet it somehow still works. And the same holds true for the preceding book, Terms of Service.
it is what it is ....
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I am excited to read the sequel to this book. I found myself comparing this plot a lot to George Orwell’s 1984. Somehow the people in power will always find a way to “observe” and punish people for even the most minor infractions. I thoroughly enjoyed the combination of science fiction and fantasy.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

While I read it, very honestly, no alarms rang. I didn't think of what books I could compare it to.
However, when I saw someone saying The Hunger Games meets The Matrix meets George Orwell’s 1984 I had to totally agree!
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

When reading the Terms of Service, I ran a parallel with Dave Eggar’s “The Circle” - they both touch upon the corporate captivity of employees and denial of privacy, even though in different ways. For one, The Circle does not involve AIs or physical controls through the implanted chips and VR systems capable of disconnecting the human motor neurons from their brains.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 22:47 I am excited to read the sequel to this book. I found myself comparing this plot a lot to George Orwell’s 1984. Somehow the people in power will always find a way to “observe” and punish people for even the most minor infractions. I thoroughly enjoyed the combination of science fiction and fantasy.
I thought so too! The constant surveillance and puppeteering of the characters by the government really hints at it, too. Plus, their scheme to run away really seemed to go down that route. I was just happy that one of them might've gotten away.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Well, while reading, it didn't bring to mind any books with a similar turn of events. The book is unique, overall.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

I think most books tend to have similarities. There are so many different ideas, experiences, journeys to go on, but eventually they all become similar to something else.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I'm fine with it being similar to other stories. The familiarity contributes to its relatability. Likewise, I get to revisit my thoughts on similar themes explored from a different perspective.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

The book definitely blends a host of different mix of fiction which gives it its unique and compelling appeal. Will definitely be looking forward to reading the sequel to this book
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Terms of Service reminded me of another book I had read recently. It’s called Utopia Project. I also got very strong Black Mirror vibes from the story. It was kind of unsettling, thinking of the future in such a negative way.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

To me terms of service definitely gave up a movie vibe and I can see it becoming a movie, the way I blends a lot of different pieces of fiction makes it more relatable.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Emmanuel Onwuanaku wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 00:43 What do you think of how the book blends a lot of different pieces of fiction? In my review of the sequel Prophecy of the Heron, which I read first, I mention that the book is Fahrenheit 451 meets The Hunger Games meets The Matrix yet it somehow still works. And the same holds true for the preceding book, Terms of Service.
Oh definitely, one of the first things that popped into my head when I read 'Terms of service' was that it reminded me greatly of Fahrenheit 451. As I mentioned in my review, with dystopian novels, there's always the classic time-honoured trope of a detached society brainwashed by a higher power and the protagonist initially conforming but then realising they are dissatisfied with their life and breaking free from the norm.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”