Metaphors in the book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Rosa Joy
Currently Reading: Brutal Valor
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosa-joy.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Metaphors in the book

Post by Rosa Joy »

I find the statement 'Subject to change without notice' metaphorical.
The terms of service themselves are in constant change but even the people themselves are being changed without notice.
readingswithsoso
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

I aw it pretty straight forward but that's a curious take. People are always changing yes. However, in this world most of them are stagnant: miserably following rules.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I agree with you that the title is a metaphor for the dystopian lifestyle of this world. Citizens are forced to bend over backwards to accommodate every little rule change that comes their way, which are rigidly enforced. The hierarchy will do anything to crush freedom in any instance. The book brings to light issues in our society with suppression of freedom- similar to George Orwell’s “1984.”
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I think the "Unity, Community and Equality" is a metaphor for the "Conform or Die" way of life expected of humans in this book. One example - which is also a metaphor for conformity - is the "Purple Week" - when everyone and everything becomes purple, from house decorations to clothes, makeup, and even food.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

The rules are always changing to suppress humans and to make sure they follow the rules. These rules are very strictly enforced should someone break them. Humans are also constantly changing with the rules as they don't have another choice to follow.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

That’s really something to think about. I just wrote in the post about changes that they were so gradual as not to be noticed. Surely that’s what’s happening here.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I think the whole story was a metaphor for a lot of what is happening in todays society. The use of AI's to gather information which then determine our viewing and feed decisions to a degree within governing bodies, the lack of privacy and the harsh enforcement of rules/ laws already happening at a lesser extent today.
"Subject to Change" is very much something we deal with in today's society.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

This is quite an interesting metaphorical analogy which I did not notice as I read this book but now that you mention it I can definitely see your and agree with your point of view.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:58 I agree with you that the title is a metaphor for the dystopian lifestyle of this world. Citizens are forced to bend over backwards to accommodate every little rule change that comes their way, which are rigidly enforced. The hierarchy will do anything to crush freedom in any instance. The book brings to light issues in our society with suppression of freedom- similar to George Orwell’s “1984.”
I like that take! I hadn't even thought about what they title could mean, I just assumed it was something to do with Kimberly.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Yes. It indicates that change is the only thing constant in the universe. Change in technology can alter our lives. We need to prepare and brace up for this.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

readingswithsoso wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 13:30 I aw it pretty straight forward but that's a curious take. People are always changing yes. However, in this world most of them are stagnant: miserably following rules.
I agree with you. The changes are increasingly severe for that community, enslaving them and making them even more miserable.

When I look at it from that point of view, I only see cruelty on the part of those in power, who keep themselves hidden.
Deborah Campion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-campion.html
Latest Review: Bone Necklace by Julia Sullivan

Post by Deborah Campion »

I see a metaphor about control. There is an iron-clad control structure in the Directors and the high-level AIs, and very little control, or self control for the ordinary people. Subject to change speaks to me about how one can gain control over self by deciding to change some things in their lives.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

In my opinion, one strange metaphor in this book is the labeling of several items. For example, "the clothing company." Instead of just giving it a specific name, they only labeled it exactly as it is. That is very metaphorical.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think the "Subject to change without notice" has the meaning as well of how unfair is the relationship between the companies and the people. Users have to accept from the beginning that the terms can change by strict decision of the companies without being able to do anything about it, they have to let the companies assume full control.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”