Strange World  

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Linus Ann
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linus-ann.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Strange World  

Post by Linus Ann »

There were a lot of interesting and unusual things about the world presented in this book: a VR-dominated world with AI house appliances, non-genderized colors, "birth-giver" and mentorship arrangements, etc.
While I was amused and intrigued by this new world, I knew almost immediately that I didn't want to experience living in a world as remote as that.
What was your impression of this world? 
Would you like to experience living in that kind of digital world? 
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I like having technology in my life, but I wouldn't like to have it rule my life to the point that I am not really allowed to have my own thoughts or make my own decisions. I find it a bit scary that this could be a distinct possibility in the distant future. Humans were given brains for a reason and should be reminded to use them and not allow technology to take over the world!
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I thought this seemed like a terrible society to live in. No one seemed truly happy. It was also strange that the AIs seemed to be more human than the people at times.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Technology is a good thing; I like that it makes my life a lot easier. However, I don't think I appreciate a world where AIs control every bit of my life, including what I eat. Anything that takes away my freedom of choice is a natural threat.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:55 I like having technology in my life, but I wouldn't like to have it rule my life to the point that I am not really allowed to have my own thoughts or make my own decisions.
Agree :!2: :!: :!2:
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

The VR technology and AI hous appliance (minus the fridge) is very interesting and like to have it. But the other things in that world, I would give it a big pass. Non-gender things and the mentoring program is the things that I really, really, don't want to happened in our world.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

I didn't fancy the high end automation of people's life. I mean, technology began to control people instead of the other way round. Although I have a fare for technology, it definitely isn't to the point of taking my mind from me. I should still have some control over my activities. I wouldn't want such a world.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I would hate living in this world. Don’t get me wrong, I love my technology, especially when it makes my life easier, but I value my freedom and individuality more. As a kid I always wanted to fit in a not stand out in a crowd. Now I think I have a new perspective on the beauty of individual opinions, talents, and personalities. I hope to never experience a dystopian society like this.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I won't like to live in the kind of world portrayed in this book. AI really took over everything in this book, and I didn't like it. I won't even get to make decisions in this book
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I love technology but the world controlled by AIs in the book is cruel, oppressive, and I would not want to live in it. And to think of it, that world can hardly be any better - the AIs driven by algorithms have their configuration limits so to perform their functions they require the maximum conformity and compliance from the humans. They are inherently unable, at least at the point of their development described in the book, to think and feel and make decisions factoring in the variety of human behaviours. The AIs can only function in the "what is not permitted is prohibited" mode. And hilarious as some of that world's rules are, the penalties are excessive - suffice to mention a fine for "loitering with amorous intent" :)
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

If this is what the future looks like we are in for a rough ride. Imagine the AIs running the world telling citizens what to do, and how to to do it; and what to say, how to say. A person's life would be completely subjugated to theirs.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I would never want to live in the world that is described in the book. Kim seemed so unhappy and turned to vodka at the end of each day. What a sad and unfulfilling life. I appreciate my freedom and the decisions that I get to make in my life.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I would not make it in a world like this. I believe in individuality and being able to express oneself. I won't be able to live in a world that takes almost all of my choices and decisions away or try to suppress me.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

I think there is a limit to technology which I can enjoy. I do not believe I would enjoy living in the world portrayed in the book. I don't believe anyone can find true happiness living like that.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I always think that technology should stop this. if a world ruled by AI is the future, as we expect then I don't want to live in such a world. there are some things I love enjoying doing myself. I wouldn't love living in this world.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”