Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Re: Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Post by Abby-Young »

The amount of access they had to drugs seemed excessive, but by allowing drugs to be the only choice they had it made society dependent of their fix. It became a necessity. It also made the people easier to control by the AIs.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I found the drugs, alcohol and sex to be over-the-top. Is the author saying that in the age of AIs, the consumption of all three will become necessary? I shudder to think so. For me, they were unnecessary and they did not significantly advance the storyline.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I believe that the excessive alcohol and drugs are intentional to highlight the themes in this book. It depicts the dynamics of companies and people. To manipulate people, the companies use drugs and alcohol. Meanwhile, humans overindulge to make up for their dissatisfaction with their lack of choice.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Like I have said already in a previous comment, it is unimaginable to envisage a world where all your life choices, habits and routines are being controlled and manipulated by bots or AIs without any means of escape or reprieve, which is what alcohol and drugs provide.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

It felt a little out of place at times and I was surprised by the casualness of the drug taking. Every 'date' Kim had seemed to be based around getting drunk, getting high and then having sex. I'm not sure it was necessary.
Success Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-success-azuka.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Success Azuka »

I'm surprised drugs and alcohol are involved in the book since I am still reading the book. AI and drugs sounds weird. But I will just go with the good part of the book.
Bavithra karthikeyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-karthikeyan.html
Latest Review: This Affects Me How? by M.K. Corbin

Post by Bavithra karthikeyan »

It was weird on the excessive use of alcohol and drugs in the book. Kim using vodka on everyday to fall asleep or drug usage on every date was very casual in the book. But the fact that your entire life, your choices are controlled by AIs and when you don't have a say in it, the dissatisfaction leads to the use of drugs. Still it does nothing to enhance the story.
Between the pages of a book is the loveliest place to be :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

They seem to be so miserable that they have to be high on different narcotics in order to allow themselves, or are allowed, to feel something carnal or merely "real", just to be able to cope with certain situations.
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

I am a huge believer that good literature can make you uncomfortable. This by far doesn't mean that a book can't be good without making you uncomfortable. I just find that if there are certain themes that are discussed that make me recoil (aside from being plain gross), it is usually because the themes being discussed are touchy subjects.

Taking Terms of Service as a societal commentary, is it really too far-fetched? I see people everyday that drown themselves in alcohol and pills. Alcoholism was practically glorified when I was in college. If someone is running from their own demons, like we know Kim is, it is not hard to see why these are vices.

As for the food control, that is a necessity. The AIs can make life miserable with it. Alcohol and drugs may keep them pacified, but it doesn't keep them controlled.

I believe the sex, alcohol, and drug use in the book was intentionally excessive. It gives the reader insight into just how messed up and empty Kim is. Contrast these to the feelings of well-being and joy she has with Shan, and you start to develop a good picture of Kim's emotional spectrum.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

I agree that the use of drugs and alcohol in the book was capitalizing on keeping people under control, and also giving them a sense of numb acceptance. Many people in our world use drugs, including alcohol, to either feel less or pretend to feel more. In the world described people have so little connection, so little fulfillment, it makes total sense for the AI’s to supply drugs as a substitute to a population that doesn’t know the difference between true feeling and one created by a drug. It was excessive, but I also think that was the point.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

I think that excessive drugs and alcohol were needed by individuals as a way to cope with stress, trauma, or emotional pain. It may provide temporary relief or escape from their difficult situation or feelings of powerlessness.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think the key is that Kim never got anything positive from the alcohol/drug abuse she had. In fact, she shows negative aspects of it. She has daily hangovers and blackouts, her friends express how concerned they are about her, and she clearly thinks that drugs and alcohol are just a way to avoid feelings but that aren't being helpful.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I agree with your points. I found it quite interesting that the AIs always selected what Kim had to eat. They would reward her for obedience and punish her for disobedience. At first, it seemed contradictory for them to restrict her menu while allowing her to get drunk on vodka all the time, but then I came to the same conclusion as you: being drunk on a regular basis would prevent her from figuring out the system. Although, she and Shan did eventually realize what was going on.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

readingswithsoso wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 13:14 Yes, it was excessive. However, it fits the book thematic. It is mentioned in the book that it is an escape and that Kim should slow down her drinking. They are aware that it is not ok.
As for the drugs, they say that they need it to endure the emptiness of the relationships. They do say that they feel lost and see no other solution.
I agree that the use of the alcohol in the book was on the high side but I feel that these was implemented so that we could understand the way most activities in love goes on daily.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

The drug and alcohol use in the book is a reflection of the dystopian society and serves as a coping mechanism for characters to escape reality temporarily. It also shows how individuals may feel like they are still able to assert their agency despite the control of AI. This is incredibly insidious when we understand that the ease of access to substances is yet another form of control, which makes it easier to manipulate and control subjects. Because the use of drugs/alcohol is not presented positively, but rather as a symptom of a larger societal issue, I find it thematically rich in that it further highlights the characters' struggle to find meaning and purpose in a world that seeks to control them.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”