Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Re: Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Post by Moray_001 »

Initially I wondered why a society that seemed so controlled even down to what they ate would have such access to drugs and alcohol. But then it seemed that no one did anything out of their own free will. So, even the romantic aspects of their life had to be controlled by substance use. It sort of emphasized a society that lacked genuine emotion or free will. So even the romance wasn't genuine or meaningful.
Gabrielle Norconk
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-norconk.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Gabrielle Norconk »

I don't find the drug and alcohol use to be excessive. Like you mentioned I feel like the entire point of earning access to these substances was all about control. They had to earn the privilege of using them, and not only did they act as a status symbol but these substances were practically the main source of what is as close as really happiness as possible. It certainly emphasized how listening to the commands and demands of this society will benefit you. If someone chose to not follow that, like our main character, then they are forced to essentially choose despair. I think these substances were actually a very important and powerful way to manipulate their society and keep the citizens under their control.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”