Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Post by Izzy Kruger »

Did anyone find the alcohol and drug use in the book excessive? I read in someone's review that they didn't enjoy that part of the book.

In my opinion, drug and alcohol use was instrumental in creating the whole scene for the "emotionless" human heard that the AIs and companies basically controlled. So yes, there was a lot of drug abuse, but if you had to go out with someone that a computer program chose for you, you would need to have a certain amount of mind-numbing substances on board. And given the fact that all of Kim's food was selected for her and controlled by the AIs, isn't it strange that she had such free access to Vodka? The AIs wouldn't stop a human from drinking herself into a stupor that makes her easier to control.

Your thoughts?
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I think many humans turn to alcohol and drugs when they are unhappy, so the use makes perfect sense to me. I was not keen that this often led to drug and alcohol-fuelled sex. It was the sex that I found too much, it bordered on erotica, and I didn't feel the need for it.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I thought the use of drugs and alcohol made sense. Many people are unhappy in this society, but by allowing the common people to use substances as an outlet, the people in power can maintain order.
Natasha Hlongwane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

I see drug and alcohol use as another ploy by The Company to control society. It kept everyone in a numb, unfeeling state while interacting with potential romantic pursuits.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I think the drug and alcohol use in the book created a whole new effect, if you get what I mean. To me, it made a lot of sense. I even learned a lot from it. The author really took his time with this book.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Yes, it was excessive. However, it fits the book thematic. It is mentioned in the book that it is an escape and that Kim should slow down her drinking. They are aware that it is not ok.
As for the drugs, they say that they need it to endure the emptiness of the relationships. They do say that they feel lost and see no other solution.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I don't agree with the use of drugs and alcohol in general. But I agree that in this book that it could be the AI plot to keep human under their control. It made sense, although personally, I don't enjoy that much reading such graphic details of drug and alcohol use.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Most people rely on drugs and alcohol to distract themselves from difficult situations. I, however, found its use by AI excessive. I believe AI should have deployed a more healthy way to pull one out of such situations.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I agree with your perspective that the drug and alcohol use was instrumental in the storyline. It seemed to me like vodka was the only Kim could escape her monotonous life and club drugs were the only way she could ignore her sexual attraction preference that was illegal in this society.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I was uncomfortable with the alcohol and drug use. I was surprised that Kim was even allowed to drink so much vodka at the end of every day. I think it added to her unhappiness.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I do believe it was a bit excessive, but it did fit into the plot. The humans had to numb their own emotions to fit into the society created and it also helped the AIs stay in control I believe.
Amelia-Lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

Chinemezu Okafor wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 11:41 I think the drug and alcohol use in the book created a whole new effect, if you get what I mean. To me, it made a lot of sense. I even learned a lot from it. The author really took his time with this book.
I agree with you. That is a nice addition to the story, it adds content and helps to steer the plot in ways that the readers cannot easily anticipat.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I thought it was strange that the AI's allowed alcohol and drug abuse, yet they were so strict about the kind of food people ate. It seems like it allowed them control over the humans. Plus, it allowed people like Kim a way of numbing their pain and coping with the kind of life she was living.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I did find the drug use excessive. I do understand, however, that some was necessary. The characters in the book seemed to use a mind-altering substance at every opportunity.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Books shouldn't be read with so much sentiment. I say, take what is important and leave the rest. The drug and alcohol use was pivotal to the plot.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”