Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Re: Drug and alcohol use in the book.

Post by Shillah Andeso »

The use of alcohol and drug abuse in this book is vital in portraying what the people living in a world controlled by AI experience. I, however, understand that some people may find this excessive especially when they are used to reading Sci-Fi books that do not entail a lot of alcohol abuse.
MichelleYong
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

Actually, even if the drug and alcohol usage is (by normal standards) excessive, under those circumstances, it is perfectly reasonable. If I had to lead that kind of work life for three or four decades, I'm going to down that vodka almost every day.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think that the portrayal of substance abuse was a little excessive but these things are often dramatised for more effect, which makes sense.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I agree that drug and alcohol abuse in the book are instrumental in showing the sad consequences of the society controlled by AIs where humans have to resort to drugs and alcohol to cope with the Matchmaker AI's choices of their dating partners, etc.

As for the unrationed access to Vodka, I think that the logic is that the AIs can control the consequences of its consumption such as tardiness at work and for the commute and a variety of anti-social behaviours. And health-wise the human condition is also monitored by the AIs through the implants, so I suppose the AIs would have rationed Vodka for Kim if the Docbot found it detrimental to her health readings. And another thought - the AIs are trained by humans, so possibly the humans did not want the AIs to deprive them of alcohol and drugs and so left it unrationed :)
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Izzy Kruger wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 03:58 Did anyone find the alcohol and drug use in the book excessive? I read in someone's review that they didn't enjoy that part of the book.

In my opinion, drug and alcohol use was instrumental in creating the whole scene for the "emotionless" human heard that the AIs and companies basically controlled. So yes, there was a lot of drug abuse, but if you had to go out with someone that a computer program chose for you, you would need to have a certain amount of mind-numbing substances on board. And given the fact that all of Kim's food was selected for her and controlled by the AIs, isn't it strange that she had such free access to Vodka? The AIs wouldn't stop a human from drinking herself into a stupor that makes her easier to control.

Your thoughts?
You're right. They not only let them use whatever drugs they wanted, they recommended and actively suggested drug use, like in the clubs with dates. It just shows that those above know that their system causes humans to break down. They need something to keep them going.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I will preface this post-reply by saying that I have not yet finished reading this book, though I find it fascinating! As an avid self-help and philosophy book reader, I'm currently really enjoying this book. 

To respond to the OP's question, "Did anyone find the alcohol and drug use in the book excessive?" I can confirm from my own experience as an alcoholic and drug addict, now in recovery, that it is really quite accurate. There is no point, in my opinion, in sugarcoating what is. There are many people suffering in this world and turning to drugs and alcohol to just get through their day. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and it's about time it was discussed more as such.

I'll certainly post again on this forum once I have completed this book.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Donna Walker 1 wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 12:06 I will preface this post-reply by saying that I have not yet finished reading this book, though I find it fascinating! As an avid self-help and philosophy book reader, I'm currently really enjoying this book. 

To respond to the OP's question, "Did anyone find the alcohol and drug use in the book excessive?" I can confirm from my own experience as an alcoholic and drug addict, now in recovery, that it is really quite accurate. There is no point, in my opinion, in sugarcoating what is. There are many people suffering in this world and turning to drugs and alcohol to just get through their day. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, and it's about time it was discussed more as such.

I'll certainly post again on this forum once I have completed this book.
Ahh good luck reading the book! You're in for quite a ride!
Crs webco
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: An American Conspiracy
Currently Reading: Resonant
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crs-webco.html
Latest Review: An American Conspiracy by Alan C. Moore
Reading Device: B07WGJ9KT3

Post by Crs webco »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 21:25 I thought the use of drugs and alcohol made sense. Many people are unhappy in this society, but by allowing the common people to use substances as an outlet, the people in power can maintain order.
I totally agree, Samantha. Allowing the people to escape reality with drugs and alcohol makes the whole group easier to control. I think that the extensive use of VR technology also helps people to think that they are content with their lives
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I think the use of alcohol and drug abuse is important in creating a rhythm in the story. Given that alcohol and drugs induces a person to some mental difference on how difficult things are in life.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I associated the excessive drinking and the general attitude towards the use of drugs with how the society was doing away with all the concepts we have come to accept as normal. I am sure the use of drugs outside the clubs was completely prohibited according to the Terms and Conditions of the drug company.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

What do you expect in a society influenced by artificial intelligence? Everyone has little or nothing to do. Thereby, resulting to drugs or alcohol. This is quite brilliant from the author.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I know it seemed to happen a lot, but I also think it was key to the story. As was mentioned above, it adds to how the society is in control of her life. Also, if you realized you were being controlled by someone else like that, you would want some kind of escape. I’m not saying it’s healthy, but it’s just human.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I completely agree with you that a drug or alcohol-induced mind is easier to control.

However, I also find this an interesting aspect of the book because it reflects the views of some countries/politicians/people. People have argued for safe places where people can consume alcohol under supervision (such as bars) and also a place where people can take "clean" and "safe" drugs properly.

Although I don't like the idea of drugs in general, they exist in the world and people who are determined will find a way to obtain them. So why not make it safe? <This has been my thinking, but after reading about it in the book, it doesn't sit well with me.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I think the abuse of drug and alcohol in the book was indeed vital in creating the "emotionless" scenario as well as in showing how sterile and unhappy their lives are even without them noticing it.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Mind-numbing substances can be altering but to some extent. But I can’t imagine the thought of waking up each day with the familiarity of consuming 'the usual’ hangover pills, etc. I mean, at times, the body might find it hard to adjust. So concerning my opinion, I would say that even though drug and alcohol use might lead to some form of seeking solace, in the end, there’s still emptiness as though nothing has been accomplished.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”