Unlisted Terms of Service

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Unlisted Terms of Service

Post by Grace Elkana »

At the beginning of the book, there was a list of 10 Terms of Service. This did set the tone for me to see how they played out in the book. However, I noticed that there were other Terms of Service in the book that weren't listed. For instance, Kim was tempted to dump her destroyed Tofu into the bin but refrained from that because it was a violation of The Food Company's Terms of Service. Do you think it was okay that there were Terms of Service that were not listed earlier in the book? Should the author have created another list for those Terms of Service? If you were the author, how best would you have presented it?
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I think it made sense that there are Terms of Service in the book that aren't listed at the beginning. I found it fitting as part of the title is 'Subject to change without Notice'. I think Craig Standfill used this very cleverly.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

The Terms of Service were very variable so I find it acceptable. Specially the "no food in the trash" since it seemed to not apply to everyone (varied according to social status).
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I think listing the terms in the beginning was a good introduction for the reader into the dystopian society. However, the changed or added terms were vital to the premise of the Companies. The whole point is that they can change on a whim and there’s nothing anyone can do to avoid the rules. No matter how silly the rules may be.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I didn't even think about that. I think due to the terms and rules changing all the time, it actually made sense that there will be rules and terms not stated in the beginning.
Maryam Newman
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryam-newman.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Maryam Newman »

I saw the first list as an introduction to the way society was controlled. It struck me that none of the terms were very specific, which adds to the sense of oppressive control. As I continued through the book, I took it in my stride that those were the general terms applicable to all companies, but that the companies also had their own terms specific to the product or service supplied, which made sense: food is different to clothing is different to transport etc.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that these were just more rules to keep the humans “in line.” These Terms of Service may not have been specifically written down, but were clearly understood by the users.
Julie Gebrosky
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-gebrosky.html
Latest Review: Archer the Therapy Dog by Katie Baron

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:59 I think it made sense that there are Terms of Service in the book that aren't listed at the beginning. I found it fitting as part of the title is 'Subject to change without Notice'. I think Craig Standfill used this very cleverly.
This was my thought exactly. I think the whole idea is that the terms will change throughout the book. If it had stayed the same the whole time, then it would have taken away from the plot.
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

This is an interesting topic. Like others, I attributed it to the changing nature of the rules. Each company seemed to have its own set of terms, which could get complicated. One way the author could've incorporated this would be to insert a complete list of updated terms each time something changed. That might get a little daunting to read, though. I think the author’s approach of presenting updates in how Kim received them illustrated how the system is rigged and purposefully confusing.
Austin McMichael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-mcmichael.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Austin McMichael »

Good point! Reminds me of the terms and service that we all agree to without ever reading the fine print. Maybe the characters in the story had something similar where they weren't even completely aware of all the terms that they were held to.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I think the list at the beginning of the book was a general tone-setter for the book to build context but should not be considered as exhaustive. In my opinion, many more terms of service were included in the story though they were not included in the initial list.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I do think it was okay that ALL the Terms and Services throughout the book were not listed. Part 1 presented a unique and thought-provoking perspective on a potential way of life, and understanding the insights was already complex enough without having to remember more than ten Terms and Services.

Additionally, in Part 1, the book introduces the concept that all rules are subject to change without notice. This keeps people on their toes, constantly having to watch out for updates and be on their best behavior. The same applies to the reader, who will be kept guessing along with the characters, hopefully enhancing their reading experience and connection with the altruistic society. I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to the initial 10 Terms and Services :)
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

There isn’t much difference regarding what’s listed or not listed. However, I would point out that creating another list wouldn’t be necessary. The fact that some Terms of Service were not referenced earlier on doesn't affect their significance and contribution as far as everything is concerned.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I would say creating another list isn't necessary. Those unlisted terms of services makes much more sense seeing them within the story than they would if listed. And also being unlisted doesn't make their part any less in Kim's world.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

As I went reading, I forgot the terms of service written by the author on the first pages. I was indulged by the story. I think the second list/additional list of terms of service is unnecessary because it even doesn't hinder my enjoyment of reading, just from my point of view.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”