Drug use controversial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Drug use controversial?

Post by Claire Twy »

Holly Goncalves wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 18:11 I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
I think it fit in quite well with the story. In a society of people working hard to conform and pretending to be happy, what better way to release their stress than by chemically-induced relaxation? It definitely makes sense in our society, where opium and weed are taken to reduce the stress in a fast-paced, high-tension environment, so why wouldn't it make sense for these people? I also liked how it was used in the nightclubs. It reinforces the detachment and impersonality of their society, that they have to use drugs to elicit arousal and sexual attraction.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”