Drug use controversial?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Holly Goncalves
Favorite Book: Lost Connections
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-goncalves.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Icon Drug use controversial?

Post by Holly Goncalves »

I noticed that the official reviewer took issue with the drug use mentioned. What was your take on the drug use described in this book? Did you think it added to the story, detracted from it, or made no difference?
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I thought that the use of drugs made sense. A large part of the society in the novel focuses on maintaining order, but that would be hard to do when most of the people are unhappy. By introducing drugs as an outlet for citizens, it acts as a distraction from any current suffering.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

For me, it's difficult to ascertain the relevance of drugs in a world where AI has taken control of people's day-to-day activity. On the one hand, you'd excuse it as an alternative to the regimented life they had to live. On the other hand, you'd think that drug use shouldn't have been allowed, considering the bots controlled what people ate.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I didn't love it! I definitely understood *why* they took the drugs, but it felt sad, and without spoiling it for people who are still reading the book, I think the author agreed it was sad. The Kim/Shan experience without drugs seemed so much more meaningful.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I always view drugs as a way for some to escape reality. Whether that’s pain, boredom, anxiety, it’s always an escape. I think the author’s use of drugs in this dystopian setting highlighted the uncomfortable nature of life. Kim used alcohol to first escape the monotony of her life, and then used drugs to deal with her “issues” with sexual interactions in the clubs. The author’s inclusion of these substances wasn’t offensive, it was another play on the themes within the book.
Maryam Newman
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryam-newman.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Maryam Newman »

I agree with Kelsey. Everyone in our world has their own methods of coping with the stresses of life, whether that be substances, physical activity, mental or physical therapy, etc. It's not difficult to imagine that in a world of absolute authoritarian control, recreational drug use is controlled as well, and normalized into societal life to induce regimented communal gaiety and impersonal passion, both of which serve to keep the individual quiescent and under control.

It was interesting that the Hierarchy tolerated excessive substance abuse in citizens' homes, as long as the effects were not inflicted on society. In a world where emotional and even gender-selective coupling is strictly forbidden, it absolutely makes sense that pre-arranged hook-ups would be fostered by alcohol and drugs to facilitate intimacy.

So overall, I feel that the drug use portrayed in the book is essential to the realistic depiction of an absolute authority desperate to keep the populace under control by any means necessary, with substances being one easy and convenient path to accomplish this.
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

In my opinion, drug and alcohol use was instrumental in creating the whole scene for the "emotionless" human heard that the AIs and companies basically controlled. So yes, there was a lot of drug abuse, but if you had to go out with someone that a computer program chose for you, you would need to have a certain amount of mind-numbing substances on board. And given the fact that all of Kim's food was selected for her and controlled by the AIs, isn't it strange that she had such free access to Vodka? The AIs wouldn't stop a human from drinking herself into a stupor that makes her easier to control.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Iselma Kruger wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:33 In my opinion, drug and alcohol use was instrumental in creating the whole scene for the "emotionless" human heard that the AIs and companies basically controlled. So yes, there was a lot of drug abuse, but if you had to go out with someone that a computer program chose for you, you would need to have a certain amount of mind-numbing substances on board. And given the fact that all of Kim's food was selected for her and controlled by the AIs, isn't it strange that she had such free access to Vodka? The AIs wouldn't stop a human from drinking herself into a stupor that makes her easier to control.
I found her unlimited access to vodka strange too. Especially since her budget was so tight. Alcohol isn't free!
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I personally think that the mention of drug and alcohol use adds to the story and conveys a number of important messages. One message is that the AI-governed life remains stressful and humans still resort to drugs and alcohol to relax.

Another message is that AIs cannot change the human nature completely and eradicate drugs and alcohol, so they look for alternative forms of control over humans.

My further speculation is that the AIs are able to control the physical condition of humans through the implanted chips, and so the use of drugs and alcohol by stealth is impossible, so the AIs intentionally permit humans to continue using drugs and alcohol to assert stronger control over humans - humans perceive drugs and alcohol as pleasures, and the fear of deprivation can be used to control the human behaviours.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I know people view drugs as an escape from the society we live in. But I don't see the relevance of drug use in this book. Anyways, the use of drugs didn't detract anything from the story.
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

I think that it was necessary for that monotonous and highly structured society. The use of drugs helped them escape their reality, although The Company had a lot of control in that environment as well.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Definitely added :!: It highlight the people's decay and misery!
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 21:32 I thought that the use of drugs made sense. A large part of the society in the novel focuses on maintaining order, but that would be hard to do when most of the people are unhappy. By introducing drugs as an outlet for citizens, it acts as a distraction from any current suffering.
That's so true! Cause they do not allow tobacco nor sex freely. But they do the alcohol and drugs. People feel "happy" and numb.
Great take by saying that it is a tool to maintain order.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:

[/quote]
I found her unlimited access to vodka strange too. Especially since her budget was so tight. Alcohol isn't free!
[/quote]

Good observation. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe it's very cheap.
:?
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I don't agree with the use of drugs in every situations. Same things goes with the one used in the book. It is just sad they need something like that to be happy. I agree with the notion that it is the AI plot to keep human under their control.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”