Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Re: Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Post by CrossK »

My favorite part of employing artificial intelligence in our daily lives is definitely the order and accuracy they bring in the execution of their functions. However, along with this accuracy and rigidity came a loss of spontaneity that was apparent for all to see.
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

My favorite aspect had to be how everything was calculated to be efficient. The transportation is always on time, the directions are spot-on for the conditions, and it seems like there is a good bit of convenience in the book. It is clear that being delayed or inefficient is a punishment; one that is deliberate.

I also hated the concept of artificial intelligence in the fridge. I thought that was just cruel. Additionally, the constant monitoring of everyone by the AIs would have me feeling very paranoid.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

The advantage of using AI is that many everyday activities can be much easier to perform with the help of an intelligent assistant. However, if by government orders it is required to stick with something in particular and restrict free use, focusing on specific terms, that would already be a serious disadvantage.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I want that housebot to bring me coffee every morning, lol. In my real life, I use AI tools for my content writing. I use them to come up with headings and sub-headings, and FAQs. If I have to write a big chunk of generic text, it can also do it for me in seconds. I actually think there is some merit to having AI in our lives.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

The transportation system, knowing that you are going to be in time and that people are going to be nice with you (I know, it's just because they don't want to lose status, but it's still a good change). Not having to do the housework is as well very attractive (I have my automatic hoover, what is the difference with the housebot as a concept?).
I don't like not being able to make choices, although that it's more linked to the kind of political model than the AIs.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

One thing I liked about the AIs is how clean and organized they are. However, dictating what people will eat, who they will date is totally out of line.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:13 My favorite aspect of living with artificial intelligence is the order they try to maintain such as in the transportation system, etc. However it should never be allowed to control our fridges and what we eat, this was too extreme.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in the protagonists' daily lives?
Being a generally lazy person, my favourite aspect would be the convenience and ease of access which it provides e.g. organising one's schedule, bringing coffee every morning, helping one run a shower etc. However, I dislike the rigid control the artificial intelligence had over the protagonists' lives. They monitored every single aspect of their day and forced them to conform to societal rules, punishing them for even the slightest deviation. I found that extremely suffocating and heartily disapprove of using artificial intelligence on such a level.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

My best use of the Artificial Intelligence system should be when it was applied to the transport system and my least would be when the robot had to choose what we would eat.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

Chuckles, I see most people said they strongly dislike the idea of AI controlling their meals, but for me I feel like it would take away so much anxiety and energy involved in 'eating' and I'm very much okay with that. What I disliked most was the lack of privacy.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

I found it quite interesting that the protagonist's wardrobe was even influenced by AI. I mean it takes some time to pick outfits but not being allowed to stand out in your dressing can also be annoying. It reflects how their society was robbed of individuals being able to express their uniqueness.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”