Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Post by Yasmine M »

My favorite aspect of living with artificial intelligence is the order they try to maintain such as in the transportation system, etc. However it should never be allowed to control our fridges and what we eat, this was too extreme.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in the protagonists' daily lives?
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

My favorite aspect of AI is that it makes my life a lot easier. However, on the flip side I dislike that it has the propensity to take away my choices. That's the dilemma Kim had to deal with.
Kelsey Roy
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I loved the little housebot that always brought fresh coffee! I think AI is supposed to make our lives easier like that little guy, not controlling every aspect of free-will like the Hierarchy wanted. The punishment for “miss-deeds” with the cold showers and bland food would be too far for me!
Izzy Kruger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izzy-kruger.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie

Post by Izzy Kruger »

I think a lot of caregivers will feel that having a fridge decide what the family eats every day will make their lives a lot easier... (speaking as the designated household chef). ;-)
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I want a housebot VERY BADLY! Like, I'd pay big bucks for one. HAHA! A little robot that brings me coffee and cleans my house? Yes yes yes.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I loved the house bot making coffee, breakfast and even bringing beer for a VR game. I also liked the transportation company routing service.

What I did not like was the excessive and ruthless control by the AIs over the humans. I certainly would not care for my dogs to be banned and replaced by dog bots, for the fridge and the food companies to dictate what I eat, for the transportation company to prescribe my boarding priority, for the clothes company to dictate what I wear ("vibrant pale beige" for example), for the shower to dispense ice water as a penalty for an unintended commuting offence, and for the suppression of all exceptionality and individuality in humans! :)
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

it's definitely the lack of free will, I can't live without having the sole power to decide for my actions and even punishments. I don't think I can live in a world where a robot gets to decide for your life. however having a robot to make your life easier is definitely a yes, like cleaning and making food.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

Life is a lot more easy with AI, but I must agree with you that I don't like it deciding what I get to eat and also managing my fridge. That was actually very extreme. I felt like the AIs took overall control of the humans, and this was what I really didn't like about this book.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

My favorite it is definitely the fact that they know exactly what brings you joy and satisfaction. Like the housebot knowing exactly how she likes her coffee and when. The negative side of this particular topic is that they would confuse the emotions sometimes. for example, they could not distinguish the laughing because they ere enjoying it from laughing ironically about something.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Grace Elkana wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 06:23 My favorite aspect of AI is that it makes my life a lot easier. However, on the flip side I dislike that it has the propensity to take away my choices. That's the dilemma Kim had to deal with.
That is a big negative side, taking away our choices!
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I liked the housebot it made me think of the Jetsons and I want one. I'm not too fond of the refrigerator controlling my meals. I think the most concerning thing about AI is the possibility of losing control of our freedom and choices.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

My least favorite aspect of living with AI is definitely the food. There is no way I let a machine controls what food I eat. My favorite aspect is the transportation system. Everythings in order and there is no jousting or stealing other people spot.
John Ikenwanze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-ikenwanze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by John Ikenwanze »

Oh I love my food, how can it controlled by AI? No way! That is my least favourite use of AI. I think my most favorite would be the population control aspect. This is a great challenge especially amongst the developing nations of our works today.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I don't think there was something I disliked about this book. If there were, it would be AI. They really took over the world in this book, and I didn't like it.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I loved the structure and cleanliness of the AIs and obviously a housebot - who wouldn't want that? BUT controlling what I eat and dress in, suppressing my emotions and curiosity, controlling the music, that was too much and controlling.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”