Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Maryam Newman
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryam-newman.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Re: Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Post by Maryam Newman »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:02 I want a housebot VERY BADLY! Like, I'd pay big bucks for one. HAHA! A little robot that brings me coffee and cleans my house? Yes yes yes.
Yes, please!!!! I'd love a connected fridge, so I could order my groceries on it, and it would use that list to formulate meal plans using algorithms that monitor my preferences...However, I am totally anti-microwave so I'm going outside the book and putting in a request for a chefbot :lol: Michelin star rating please!
Maryam Newman

Post by Maryam Newman »

I forgot to add that I believe in an automated transportation system for ultimate efficiency and reliability.
The social cohesion rating is despicable, but the AIs are only doing it at the behest of the human Directors. Even the AIs hated punishing people for victimless so-called crimes. That was one of the most fascinating parts of the book, for me: the AIs have their own conscience and morality, and they govern their own community in VR.
Going back to the fridge: it supposedly monitors the human's physical condition to determine required meal size and nutrient sources. I think it would be great to have a fridge that did that for you with foods of your own choice.
Maryam Newman

Post by Maryam Newman »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:02 I want a housebot VERY BADLY! Like, I'd pay big bucks for one. HAHA! A little robot that brings me coffee and cleans my house? Yes yes yes.
Yes please!!! I'd love a fridge that could order the groceries I wanted and make meal plans according to my preferences, but I'm anti-microwaves so could I please order a chefbot? :lol:
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Maryam Newman wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 11:19
Yes please!!! I'd love a fridge that could order the groceries I wanted and make meal plans according to my preferences, but I'm anti-microwaves so could I please order a chefbot? :lol:
Oh my gosh! Yes! A chefbot too. I'm in.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

As much as I like the idea of having robots doing everything for me, what happens when they break down? I am without a microwave at the moment and that feels like I have lost one of my best friends. I think I would have a breakdown if I lost an AI which I'd got used to having do everything for me. Also my fear with the progression of AI and making them more and more intelligent ( eg Alexa ) is there going to be a time when they are so much more useful and intelligent than us that humans are no longer wanted/needed?
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

My favorite part of living with artificial intelligence would be transportation. I hate driving, so I would love to have an AI take care of that for me. However, I would not be able to handle a sassy refrigerator. If any machine tried to take away my ice cream, we would have problems.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that AI is a really good thing when it comes to creating and maintaining a semblance of order. When this technology presumes they are able to make “better” decisions for humans than the humans, themselves, they, and their creators, have overstepped.
Amelia-Lily
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

I absolute love the concept of AI and I think it will become more of a reality in the coming years as our civilization begins to grow. This translates to this book. Despite its obvious drawbacks, it remains the next step in human evolution.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I like that the AI's assist with making life easier (ie. The transport system, waking up, deliveries) but I didn't like that they made choices for humans irrespective of whether it was what they wanted like with Kim's meals.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

My favorite is how they make life easy and orderly. I wouldn't mind coming home in the evening and ordering my fridge to produce what I need. My least favorite was the controlling and lack of freedom.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I would love to have someone bring me coffee every morning, but I want the flexibility to choose what coffee I drink and the food I eat. I like making my own decisions and do not like being controlled by others, especially an AI.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 10:11 My favorite part of living with artificial intelligence would be transportation. I hate driving, so I would love to have an AI take care of that for me. However, I would not be able to handle a sassy refrigerator. If any machine tried to take away my ice cream, we would have problems.
Oh my! AI and transportation seem scary to me. I prefer to have control when driving so that I can react to others' decisions. Maybe if it was a flying car then I might reconsider AI.
Yeah, a sassy refrigerator would be sent on a one-way trip to the recycling yard for me.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

While I enjoy or admire rather the fact that AI could make life so much better and help with making things easier for us. It is worrisome to control every basic aspect of our living even down to what we eat!
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

As much as I love the level of technological advancement protrayed in the book, I feel it was way too much. The issue of AIs helping us which will make work easier for us is a welcome development for me. But the scenario where they'll now turn out to totally control our lives is a no-no for me.
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

My favorite aspect of the book is that life will be made easier because most duties will be performed by robots. My list favorite aspect of the book is the fact that human freedom of will will be denied.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”