Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Re: Favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in everyday life

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I think we would always be stuck between having AI make life easier for us and drawing the line at what activities they should not be able to control. The confusion it creates is mind boggling. Although an important aspect of the future but the downsides are worrisome.
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

I thought it was so interesting how certain aspects seemed to make things run more efficiently, like transportation and certain jobs, while some seemed overly controlling. I think that the transportation system they used was safe and efficient, but I think that areas like art and music could be hindered by being completely controlled by AI.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

Actually, other than the AI housebot helping out with doing mundane tasks, all the others is just quite bad. There is no free choice even in the most basic of needs. Transportation, food, bath, relationships, schedule, and many more all controlled by a robot, and you have no say in any of those.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I actually found the not choosing what to eat everyday a little relieving, but controlling everything else seemed a bit much.
MAUREEN WAMBUI NJUKI
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maureen-wambui-njuki.html
Latest Review: Praesidium by McKinley Aspen

Post by MAUREEN WAMBUI NJUKI »

My most favourite thing about AI is how it could simplify the characters' lives in aspects such as picking out their clothes, cleaning, and ironing. Those are mundane tasks that are sometimes taxing, especially after a long day at work. My least favourite thing about the AI was that the fridge was responsible for deciding what you'd eat. Most meals were not pleasant at all!
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

My favorite part of the AI is how they made lives easier. Food was made for you, coffee, shoping, everything was done for you. At the same time you didn't have any freedom to choose yoir own meals, your own clothes. Or anything for that matter. You were hardly late for work, but the transportation seemed to play favorites. You couldn't get by with anything, so crime was at an all time low.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:13 My favorite aspect of living with artificial intelligence is the order they try to maintain such as in the transportation system, etc. However it should never be allowed to control our fridges and what we eat, this was too extreme.
What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of using artificial intelligence in the protagonists' daily lives?
I really liked the idea of having AI friends, like the cleaner bot and fridge - they're adorable! I do hate that you're always monitored, like that's kinda creepy. You'd always wonder if anything personal leaked over the internet, but I guess we have that now anyways!
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Izzy Kruger wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:35 I think a lot of caregivers will feel that having a fridge decide what the family eats every day will make their lives a lot easier... (speaking as the designated household chef). ;-)
Noooooo! :o This would be torture for me! I love to cook, and I love creating new dishes. Having an AI fridge that takes those decisions and my passion for cooking away from me would be awful! Feeding those I love my amazing home cooked dishes is how I show my love for them. :D

I guess it depends on the individual. If you dislike cooking and see it as a chore of deciding what to make, this would be a very handy AI. The control element of punishing me with bad, bland food if I did not behave as required is also abhorrent to me. 
Austin McMichael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-mcmichael.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Austin McMichael »

MichelleYong wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 01:24 Actually, other than the AI housebot helping out with doing mundane tasks, all the others is just quite bad. There is no free choice even in the most basic of needs. Transportation, food, bath, relationships, schedule, and many more all controlled by a robot, and you have no say in any of those.
I agree! I think that even though our daily or life decisions may not be the best, our choice is what gives us a sense of hope and control over our future. Without choice, we are little more than animals.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Someone said it already, but my first thought is I want my own housebot! It would free up a lot of time at home, but I wouldn't use that time for VR. I'd use it to read more books and run my business!
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

It’s interesting to consider how much AI could make lives easier. However, the idea that in exchange for an easier life we give up some degree of control and choice is a scary thought.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I also thought its use in the transport system was a thing of beauty, but I disagree with you about the fridge part. I thought that was a great application as well since not everyone is well-informed regarding the nutrition requirements. It would be helpful to have A.I. guiding you to a balanced diet, generating meal plans and even buying groceries on your behalf.

The aspect I did not approve of was the use of A.I. to detect violations of terms of service. Many day to day scenarios would require a human touch to fully decide if there were infractions.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Having a fridge control what I eat is a no no. It may cause me depression, haha. But having the AI bring me coffee and do other house chores will be heavenly.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Yes, you are right. Artificial intelligence should not be allowed to control our day-to-day lives. However, AI can really make life easy.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

My favorite parts were where they could solve little problems in life. Transportation becomes more efficient as mentioned above. They are able to do simple things for us like bringing coffee, etc.

My least favorite part is how there is no limit to how much damage they can do. For example, when they were using Kimberly to find and punish different people that were “breaking the law.”

I also don’t like AI being developed to the point of “feeling” or to where you feel a relationship to them. I don’t want the possibility of a world where humans are extinct except for AIs. Maybe they can serve some purpose in the elderly and sick where they don’t feel so alone, I don’t know.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”