The title of the book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: The title of the book

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I think it fits the book in an ironic way. The world is run by corporations and their rules are the law. I cannot imagine living in a world where my behaviour at a bike park affects my social standing and ultimately the location of my home.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

While slightly wordy, I think it fits it very well. I mean, the book literally starts with a customer agreement, so I think its pretty fitting.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

It perfectly suits the book. It gives the book its entire aura. And we were indeed given the terms of service, so what more, really?
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Yes it fits to the context of the book. Subject to change without notice is just perfect to exactly what happened in the book. There was a change in technology which no one thought could happen.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

It confused me at first because I did a double-take to ensure I read it correctly. It makes sense as you go along. Nothing stays the same, even annoyingly so. It would be hard to live in that kind of world.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

This title fits in all aspects, as discussed in the book. It matches well with the content concerning relevancy, characterization, and the events that occur.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I think the title of the book is enigmatic, metaphorical, and sarcastic - the terms of service that are subject to change without notice are control of the provider of the service over the "client". This is what the Hierarchy is instilling in this futuristic society through the AI company and other companies that provide "services", such as transportation, fashion, housekeeping, etc. One example is when Kim after her promotion, and after her resignation, is - without notice - navigated to a different residence. The same goes for food choices - one week she could enjoy eggs or steak, only to find herself hearing another week from her AI-driven fridge that her preferred meal choices are not available and instead the company recommends a diet of wilted kale. :)
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The story's context is reflected in the title. The businesslike tone alludes to the type of relationship that exists between the company and the people in this type of society.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

I do think that the title suits very well with the book since very early on we as the readers are introduced to the terms of service of the protagonist’s dystopian world and how quickly these terms change over time.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I love the title. It’s so perfect for this book. We read the “Terms of service” and then as we go along, just as in real life, things do change. They often change without notice too, or very suddenly. It gets frustrating when this happens.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

I like the title of the book and it perfectly depicts the storyline. The characters in the book had to live by the terms of the company and they were often given updates. The characters have no input in the updates just like terms of condition of condition of apps.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

The title of the book "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice" is an effective metaphor for the power dynamic between AIs and humans. The AIs use the ever-changing terms of service to control humans, and the title of the book reflects this theme accurately.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

The author's choice of title highlights the dangers of allowing technology to become too powerful and the importance of keeping it in check. Overall, the title of the book is not just a catchy phrase, but it reflects the world that the author has created in a meaningful way.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Olga Markova wrote: 21 Feb 2023, 12:36 I think the title of the book is enigmatic, metaphorical, and sarcastic - the terms of service that are subject to change without notice are control of the provider of the service over the "client". This is what the Hierarchy is instilling in this futuristic society through the AI company and other companies that provide "services", such as transportation, fashion, housekeeping, etc. One example is when Kim after her promotion, and after her resignation, is - without notice - navigated to a different residence. The same goes for food choices - one week she could enjoy eggs or steak, only to find herself hearing another week from her AI-driven fridge that her preferred meal choices are not available and instead the company recommends a diet of wilted kale. :)
I absolutely agree. The author's choice of title is fitting because it captures the ambiguous terms that AIs use to control humans. Every aspect of the book relates back to the AIs' ability to change the rules whenever they see fit, and the humans' inability to do anything about it.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Timothee22 wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 01:19 Yes it fits to the context of the book. Subject to change without notice is just perfect to exactly what happened in the book. There was a change in technology which no one thought could happen.
That is true as the terms were changing without notice. The title of the book is a powerful statement about the world that the author has created. It highlights the power dynamic between AIs and humans, and the dangers of allowing technology to become too powerful. The ever-changing terms of service without notice are a tool that AIs use to maintain control over humans.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”