The title of the book

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amandaruth Ama
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Re: The title of the book

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Izzy Kruger wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 05:52 I think it fits the content of the book very well since from the first moment we receive the terms of service, and throughout, there are constant updates sent out to Kim regarding updates (thus changing without notice).
Every aspect of the book relates back to the AIs' ability to change the rules whenever they see fit, and the humans' inability to do anything about it, just like Kim. In the book, humans could as well be a piece of software.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

Grace Elkana wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 04:41 It was a perfect title, especially the subtitle. I noticed that there were some things that happened that weren't expected according to the original Terms of Service posted at the beginning of the book. This validates the clause that the terms are subject to change without notice,
In addition to that, the constantly changing rules in the book create a sense of fear among humans, as they fear the punishment that comes with breaking these rules. The AIs use this fear as a tool to maintain their control over humans.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:19 "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice", how well does this title reflect the content of the book?
The title portrayed to the overall content of the book. The protagonist, Kim was vulnerable to the terms of service implemented by the AI company. When it is executed, no begging, it is subject to change without notice.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

The title of a book must not necessarily fit it’s content. The author might decide to give his book an abstract title, this is not usually appreciated by all readers. In this case, the book title fits it’s content quite well.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I think the title of the book fits the content very well, but I'm not sure if it's a great name for the book. It isn't exactly an attention grabbing or interesting title, when I first saw the title, I though the book would be quite a dull manual about some form of regulations. It does however fit with the world they live in.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Savina Visintin »

I believe that the title is perfect for this book. It does not clearly reveal what the book will be about, but it already hints that there will be prohibitions and things that you cannot do. I think it's an excellent title because it arouses curiosity in those who want to read this story.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

Overall, the title "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice" seems to be an accurate reflection of the book's content, as it highlights the need for greater transparency and accountability in the online world.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

"Terms of Service: Subject to Change Without Notice" is a title that perfectly describes this book. A list of all the rules that must be followed in this dystopian society is the first item you encounter in the book. Also, the regulations are modified throughout the book, which makes Kim even more dissatisfied with her life. And just like in real life, there are some instances of hidden ToS that we forgot about, but that later comes back to bite us.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 526
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I think the title fits the book perfectly because it captures the essence of the book well. The various changes are very frequent and the Terms of Service have been brought to the level of sanctity.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think it more than fits the bill, especially as Kim is living in an AI-led world, and terms of service are generally stuff we click on without a second thought on computers. Also, humans can't take a step out of line; otherwise, they're in violation of the rules and face severe penalties. It's one of those rare titles that accurately capture just what a book is about.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I believe the author made a good title choice. The "Company's" freedom to alter these vague phrases anytime they pleased is at the heart of every part of the book. When Kimberly is looking for "cult" members on the transit system, this is very obvious. There was nothing anyone could do to stop the Business from altering the regulations every day to suit their demands.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I think the book's title perfectly reflect the book's content. The book discussed a company's terms of service for its users and how these terms are usually violated. So yes, it does reflect it well.
Roderick Voss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roderick-voss.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Roderick Voss »

The book's title, "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice," suggests that it may be about the terms and conditions that govern the use of various products and services, and how these terms can change at any time without prior notice to the user. The book could cover a wide range of plot points involving terms of service, such as their legal implications, impact on user privacy and data security, or role in shaping the online landscape.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:19 "Terms of Service: subject to change without notice", how well does this title reflect the content of the book?
I thought it was an absolutely perfect fit for the book. It's intriguing enough to pique your interest and aptly covers what the whole book is about.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

To me I think terms of service fits the book well, seeing that the protagonist and those who live in her world have to follow a strict terms of service all the time, the cover added to the beauty and title too.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”