Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Is the society in the book better off than ours?

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Even though they seem to have found solutions to issues plaguing us today, they seem to have acquired new ones. Therefore, I don't think they are better off than us. Especially,because they have given up so much control to AI.
theprophetofpoetry
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theprophetofpoetry.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by theprophetofpoetry »

Better is a matter if opinion in this case. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. In their society everything is a lot more organized than ours but also every aspect of their life is decided for them, striping them of their freewill and breaking them with the fear of punishment. The technology advances are nice and fun, and would make life a lot more efficient, but I would not want to live in their society under control.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

There's always a balance that must be maintained when running any affair. Even in nature, tip the balance and it could lead to drastic changes. They may have solutions to certain issues we are facing now, but in the future, that would only precipitate a new problem.
Kaylan10+
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Long Winter
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylan10.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Kaylan10+ »

Emily Meadows wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 20:30 There were a few holes in the book that make it hard to compare our current society with the one created in the book. In the book, was there homelessness? Did everyone have food even if it was gross yucky bland food? Was their any crime? Greed? etc.? I think I prefer our flawed society to the one in the book, even if it's imperfect.
That's a question I had too, it sounded like the "outskirts" of society were people who chose to break away. I definitely didn't like the fridge picking my food for me, I hope that as a society we never become that dependent on our technology.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I don’t think they’re better off necessarily. Maybe more secure, but I believe autonomy and the ability to decide how to live your life is more important!
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 13:35 I don't think the futuristic society portrayed in the book is better off than ours. Humans have been given the brain power to make choices, and in this world, humans are expected to behave and act like robots, having no choices in life. If they do step out of line, the punishments are cruel. This wouldn't be a world I would want to live in. I would not be able to cope if I wasn't allowed to think for myself and it also sounds like a drab world with all the gender-neutral colours; nope, definitely not a better world!
I completely agree with you. While they may have some issues sorted and they may be superior in some aspect, they are not better overall. I wouldn't want to live like that.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

The rate of highhandedness portrayed in that society is way too much compared to our society where there are freedom of choice and lesser control.
On the other hand, the incessant control of humans by the AIs ensures law and orderliness, but consequently, the people were more frustrated and looked for a way out.
Timothee22
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

I think the answer is two sided. Reduction of human population, for instance, can ensure adequate resources and food available. However, this could be tragic because humanity should come first.
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

Freedom is essential to humans. I do not believe that the society in the book is better than ours.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

I do not think the society in the book is better. One thing that makes us all unique as a population, is the choices we make. While they may not always be good choices, the world would be boring if we were all identical and lacked the ability to make choices for ourselves.
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

I certainly don't think that the futuristic society portrayed in the book is better off than ours. Even if they managed to control some of the issues that we face in our society, that society isn't human at all. The human species is the most superior of all the species and no matter how many challenges we face, we work on them and emerge with something useful.
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

I would definitely say that our society is better than that of the book. I enjoy free will and being able to make my own decisions. A world in which decisions are made for you is not an ideal world to live in.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

‘Control’, just like other aspects, is not easy to establish. As a result, numerous consequences can come along with it. However, I would point out this, despite the AIs best efforts to come up with a better and just society, the fact remains that humans have their consciousness. Thus, humans are likely to form objective opinions and come up with their conclusions.
Chinemezu Okafor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

It is better in some ways. They have fixed certain societal issues that we haven't fixed in ours. But the AIs did too much in the lives of the citizens. I don't think I fancy an AI telling me what to eat.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Yasmine M wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 07:26 In the futuristic society portrayed in the book, they seem to have managed to control some of the issues we face now in our societies such as the risk of overpopulation, and food security... but was it worth the price they paid?
My opinion, I don't like the futuristic idea of the world in Terms of Service, which is so strict and has no freedoms. Even if Kim, the protagonist, has everything provided; money, power, good job, deep inside, she's not happy and felt an emptiness in her heart. I don't think I can live in a world without freedom at all. I hope that the author's futuristic world will not be our reality shortly. I feel scared!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”