Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Re: Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Post by Samuel Songs »

The parallel between the food and the society is striking. Just as Kim doesn't know what she's missing out on until she gets a taste of something different, so too, do the citizens of this world not realize what they're missing out on by conforming to the same bland options. It makes one wonder if the lack of diversity in food is a symptom of a larger problem in society.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html

Post by Samuel Songs »

While Kim does have some better options at times, especially during her promotion, it seems that in most cases, the food is not her preferred choice. It is a testament to how unappetizing the options are that even the protagonist, who is supposed to be in a better position than most, finds the food a nuisance. All in all, the food in the book is a stark reminder of how important taste and variety are to the human experience. I wouldn't trade the food here for the bland option in Kim's dystopian society.
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Savina Visintin »

Kim's relationship with food is the funniest part of the book. I like the foods she has to eat, but a more varied diet is needed. Also, I would like to decide what to eat and when instead of letting others decide for me.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I don't think I could eat what Kim ate in the book, every food seemed boring to me. But I guess they are used to it.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I didn't like the food choices for the lack of tasty items obviously, but the system of not having to cook and someone just deciding what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner sounds a bit appealing to me. If only it was accompanied by actually tasty stuff. I take a long while to decide and prepare meals, so that part was actually kind of appealing.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 528
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

I found Kim's reactions to foods she doesn't like very cute. However, I think that the food of the future could have been thought-out a little more imaginatively.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Contrary to her wishes, I must admit, Kim was forced to consume horrible cuisine that was undoubtedly not tasty. Given all the diets that are currently popular, it's not improbable that meals in the future will be tailored according to our dietary needs. Individuals won't remember to appreciate the flavor and aroma of meals.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I can't live on Kim's diet, how would I survive eating like that?
There should be a good balance between healthy eating and unhealthy eating in a way that will make you excited to eat.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:36 Spelt, tofu, kale, quinoa, lentils, boiled synchicken...

What did you think of the food Kim had to eat? It sounded rather terrible to me, but healthy all the same. Where was the fruit? What happened to other vegetables? I especially noticed the absence of beef - even "synbeef."

Could you live on Kim's diet? :)
Definitely not, I don't think I would survive on Kim's diet for up to a week. The food she consumed was said to be healthy and I doubt it is as healthy as they proclaim in the novel. They had terrible names for me, and I don't eat things I find weird.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I definitely do not see myself living or operating on Kim’s diet as I am a very firm lover of variety in my meals especially the inclusion of meat and beef. The meals Kim ate definitely appeared bland and monotonous from their descriptions.
Bavithra karthikeyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-karthikeyan.html
Latest Review: This Affects Me How? by M.K. Corbin

Post by Bavithra karthikeyan »

No the sound of food at Kim's table sounds weirdly unappealing most of the time. A healthy diet is necessary but not at the cost of our taste buds. Still, Kim and her relationship with her fridge is my favorite part. But Kim surviving with that kind of food even on her bad days was commendable. This is because kale and tofu at a large amount with no fruits or other vegetables is disaster even on the health aspect.
Between the pages of a book is the loveliest place to be :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

The food was weird and it disgusted me. I don't like it. This is another reason why i believe living in that world would be detrimental to humans. It wasn't cutting it for me.
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

I am currently reading the book and think that the reactions with the refrigerator are hilarious. It reminds me of how some people get really cranky on diets, due to disappointing food. :lol:
While the food is "healthy", the diet overall is not. Looking at the consumption of alcohol and drugs in the book, it's very clear that food is being used as a punishment. Vodka is freely available, but a good wine is not. One can purchase as many party drugs as they can afford, but ice cream is a luxury that requires special permission. Also, scaling up in the society and having access to richer foods implies that as you become more valuable to the society, "health" becomes less important. Of course as readers we know that isn't the case, and it's just another method of control.
I think the parallels with present-day are pretty obvious in these instances. However, I think the interactions are depicted in such a way that it is comedic and enjoyable, in addition to thought-provoking.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

The food that Kim was describing before she moved in seemed to me, (in my imagination) very clinical and tasteless, just to have some nutrients in the body but nothing to taste or enjoy.

The type of meat protein, vegetables and fruits were privileges for those who were at better levels.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:36 Spelt, tofu, kale, quinoa, lentils, boiled synchicken...

What did you think of the food Kim had to eat? It sounded rather terrible to me, but healthy all the same. Where was the fruit? What happened to other vegetables? I especially noticed the absence of beef - even "synbeef."

Could you live on Kim's diet? :)
Not going to lie, I actually thought spelt was made up because I had never heard of it before and it sounded so fitting for the world she lived in. But generally, her food sounded terribly unappetising and as a picky person, I would not survive as middle-income citizen in that world.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”