Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amelia-Lily
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Re: Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Post by Amelia-Lily »

OTrain M wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:33 No, I couldn't. The food sounded weird and quite frankly unappealing. Maybe it's because I am not a fan of boiled food. Lol.
I completely agree with you. There is no way I can live on that. Trying it is one thing, living on it, is another thing.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Honestly, the food seemed horrible. I was disgusted on her behalf all the time she mentioned breakfast, lunch or supper. To top it off, she sometimes ate it cold which made it more unacceptable.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

The food Kim are in the book was unappealing. It seemed bland and boring. I can't imagine eating the same things daily and not having control over my own diet.
Lindiwe Chakhala
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Rich Dad Poor Dad: Cashflow Quadrant
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindiwe-chakhala.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Lindiwe Chakhala »

Nope. I would pass on the bland diet. I would probably consider fasting for 3/4 days then eat for the sake of survival. But otherwise, eating would be a punishment on my tongue and in my stomach.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Yes, indeed :D
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

No, I couldn’t live on Kim’s diet. It does sound like it’s meant to be health but all the synchicken etc is not good in my opinion. Plus I’m just no good with lentils and the like.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I definitely wouldn't eat the food Kim had to eat. I think food is my number one therapy, Haha. what would I do if I was unable to enjoy food, especially in such a world? I would, however, make an exception for synchicken.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Shillah Andeso wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 04:09 I definitely wouldn't eat the food Kim had to eat. I think food is my number one therapy, Haha. what would I do if I was unable to enjoy food, especially in such a world? I would, however, make an exception for synchicken.
Bwah haha! We all want to know what synchicken tastes like!
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

The food seemed unappealing. I only loved the coffee. Actually, I feel that although AI would be so helpful in some matters, it would not be helpful in matters to do with food.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

Actually, although what Kim ate would not be my first pick, I would not mind eating it every day. Boiled tofu goes especially well with soy sauce, if that was available.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

Kim’s refrigerator seemed to prefer to serve the economy kind of food which was “low in fat and high in protein” such as oatmeal. This made Kim think it was being stingy. Otherwise, Kim would have preferred to indulge in such treats as steak, Cabernet, genuine chocolate ice cream, chocolate éclair, and butter.
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

Kim certainly wasn't a fan of her options, but it made me wonder how diverse the average person’s palate would be. If I’d only ever eaten spelt and kale and boiled synthchicken, I probably wouldn't hate it. Obviously, other options exist in this world, but I would assume the general public probably had similar meals regularly. It was an excellent parallel to everything in their society; you don't know what you're missing out on until you get a taste.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I have been eating whole, plant-based food for decades. I am an excellent cook and cooking teacher, and my mainly vegan diet is the most delicious food I've ever tasted. However, Stanfill successfully makes the food required and provided by the AIs sound incredibly bland and unappetizing, which further builds the overall feel of the society Kim lives in. The biggest culprit is probably the tofu, which has no appreciable flavor unless cooked with flavorful spices or sauces. Point for the author, but don't assume Kim's food would be bland and tasteless in real life!
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

Kim's diet didn't sound nice to me. Surviving on Tofu wouldn't be an easy thing for me to do, but Kim did it. Kim's relationship with the fridge and the microwave was humorous to me.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:36 Spelt, tofu, kale, quinoa, lentils, boiled synchicken...

What did you think of the food Kim had to eat? It sounded rather terrible to me, but healthy all the same. Where was the fruit? What happened to other vegetables? I especially noticed the absence of beef - even "synbeef."

Could you live on Kim's diet? :)
I would not be able to live on Kim's diet in anyway. I thought same that although it seemed healthy, it didn't go down well with me.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”