Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Re: Fun thread - what did you think about the food Kim ate?

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

Diet is largely personal if I may say. I may not like Kim's diet, but that works for him, and so I might not like to bring in my personal opinion to it. So, it is what it is. Kim has got his own diet.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

Kim's diet seemed excessive and downright depressing to me but, I loved the details.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

There's no way I could eat most of the food that they had. Maybe if I grew up eating it as the only available food. I wouldn't be able to just start eating it.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

Most of the food seemed very unappealing. I am a big fan of seasonings so I'm sure I would've had a hard time stomaching most of the meals.
Aloe Crane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:36 Spelt, tofu, kale, quinoa, lentils, boiled synchicken...

What did you think of the food Kim had to eat? It sounded rather terrible to me, but healthy all the same. Where was the fruit? What happened to other vegetables? I especially noticed the absence of beef - even "synbeef."

Could you live on Kim's diet? :)
I could definitely NOT haha! I think I've tried everything but spelt and synchicken, and it's not fun... I'm not sure how healthy it would be, but it sure does sound healthy!
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Kelsey Roy wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 18:40 It was definitely a punishment! I would not have done well with the refrigerators options or the cold showers. Good food is one of the special things in life that people can find easy and simple enjoyment out of. To be deprived of this pleasure with no way to remedy the situation is surely a severe punishment!
Yeah and a lot of people can't stand cold showers either, brrr. I couldn't go without delicious food, though maybe it's better for our health to go on this diet.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Emily Meadows wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 11:55
Yasmine M wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 11:09 The food Kim had to eat, against her wish I must say, was disgusting and was surely far from being tasty. With all the diets that have been going around nowadays, it is not impossible that in the future, meals will be only for our dietary requirements. People will forget to enjoy the taste and smell of food.
Offering the humans freshly made donuts *could* be as effective in controlling them as drugs and alcohol. :)
I hadn't even thought of that XD. You have a solid point, who needs drugs or foodies when you've got sweets and sugar???
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Stephanie Cameron wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 18:36 I would definitely be classified as a foodie. I could not survive on tofu though I am a fan of Kale. Kim's relationship with her fridge was hilarious to me, it was a great addition to the story.
I thought it was really cute! I just wish she treated her fridge and AI better. I was so sad when she dented her fridge and the bot was so scared of her.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Maryam Newman wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 01:36 I found Kim's relationship with her refrigerator hilarious. I guess if I was in her position I'd have no choice other than to eat what I was given, to the extent that I could. I love my coffee in the morning, but definitely with cream. The sausages and eggs she refers to having the week before the spelt and tofu spell would be right up my alley as well as oats with butter and cream. The supper options were mostly dire (tofu without flavoring is just meh!). I suppose that restricting the diet of the masses would ensure weight and health is optimized, although in practice it seems more like punishment for being mediocre.
Damn you definitely have a point. I wonder if obesity is even a problem in this world. If it does, who is affected?? Like the upper echelon who eats fancier meals, or maybe the foodies that smuggle food?
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

readingswithsoso wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 16:56
Olga Markova wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 16:30 And the diet of only microwaved ready meals lacks the comforts of home-cooked meals.
Yes, this really upset be too! At least an electrical stove!
I just imagined a really cute small stove that cooks up your food. I would treat that thing so well XD
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Maryam Newman wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 10:47
readingswithsoso wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 16:54
Maryam Newman wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 01:36 although in practice it seems more like punishment for being mediocre.
Yes, I totally agree. Which in the end it will make you have an unhealthy relationship with the food.
I wonder if this is responsible for the Kim-fridge antagonism? Kim hates food, fridge picks up on it and sulks, gives Kim more food that she hates...Vicious cycle.
You think the fridge is doing it on purpose? I genuinely couldn't tell if the fridge was or wasn't QAQ.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Patty Allread wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 11:06 I have been eating whole, plant-based food for decades. I am an excellent cook and cooking teacher, and my mainly vegan diet is the most delicious food I've ever tasted. However, Stanfill successfully makes the food required and provided by the AIs sound incredibly bland and unappetizing, which further builds the overall feel of the society Kim lives in. The biggest culprit is probably the tofu, which has no appreciable flavor unless cooked with flavorful spices or sauces. Point for the author, but don't assume Kim's food would be bland and tasteless in real life!
Well that's great to hear, I think I'll try some foods mentioned, but it's good to know they can taste good if they're prepped well! Thank you for clearing that misconception, though it is really funny that even you found the food Kim eats as bland xD :tiphat:
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Aloe Crane wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:36
Maryam Newman wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 01:36 I found Kim's relationship with her refrigerator hilarious. I guess if I was in her position I'd have no choice other than to eat what I was given, to the extent that I could. I love my coffee in the morning, but definitely with cream. The sausages and eggs she refers to having the week before the spelt and tofu spell would be right up my alley as well as oats with butter and cream. The supper options were mostly dire (tofu without flavoring is just meh!). I suppose that restricting the diet of the masses would ensure weight and health is optimized, although in practice it seems more like punishment for being mediocre.
Damn you definitely have a point. I wonder if obesity is even a problem in this world. If it does, who is affected?? Like the upper echelon who eats fancier meals, or maybe the foodies that smuggle food?
Such a great question about obesity. I would guess that it is NOT an issue. If someone gets overweight, the AI would just starve them. <snort> :tiphat:
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Post by Abby-Young »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 15:48
OTrain M wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:33 No, I couldn't. The food sounded weird and quite frankly unappealing. Maybe it's because I am not a fan of boiled food. Lol.
Bwah haha. I think I could eat boiled potatoes, but that is it for my interest in boiled foods. And I don't think I even know what spelt is. :lol:
I think I could handle boiled vegetables, and my Great Grandma's chicken noodles. Which consists of boiled chicken, homemade noodles, and salt and pepper. That's it. That's all the boiled food I could handle.
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I was just telling my friend about the arguments with the refrigerator! I think I would have starved if I was Kim.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”