Gender and Romance

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Abby-Young
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Sarah J Mass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-young.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 9321

Re: Gender and Romance

Post by Abby-Young »

I made identifications of the characters based off of their name. If it was a more traditional boy name then it was a he. I also labeled outies has he's. It just made it easier to relate the world the book created with mine.

When Kim's sensuality was reviled and what happens to those like Kim I found it to be cruel and backwards. In a world that prided themselves on how advance they were they don't let their people love who they love. They all had to fit in the same mold.
Jenna Floyd
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-floyd.html
Latest Review: Murder Rides a Gale Force Wind by Yvonne Maximchuk

Post by Jenna Floyd »

I spent a good portion of the book wondering whether Kim was anatomically female or male, which bothered me. By that, I mean I was bothered by my obsession with gender and curiosity. I don’t know why I felt this burning need to know the “truth” and found it an interesting layer to the book's complexity. I can’t recall reading any other book that treated gender this way, and found it fascinating.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Tara D Morgan wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 06:27 I imagined the characters in the book as whatever gender their name suggested eg Kimberley, Kim ( I know men can be called Kim but generally this is a female name) I imagined these characters in my head as female. Good question :D
I tried to keep the characters gender-neutral while reading. Although that was difficult, it helped me avoid categorizing them under gender-stereotypes.
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

I just submitted my review of this book. One of the issues I mentioned was the confusion that readers will have seeing that every character is addressed with the "she" pronoun. I know it was taken care of in the "Notes on Pronouns." I still believe many readers will have issues with it.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I thought it was sad when Kim was being persecuted for being herself. It highlighted what was wrong with their society as a whole and blew the bubble on the novel being more dystopian than utopian. I wonder, though, if we harbour so much disapproval for this because we are selfists and genderists. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 04:21 I also made my own individual identities for the characters, as I don't like the idea of stripping one of his/her identity. It was interesting though how they managed to put (or tried) all the humans in the box.
Yeah, I did the same too. It really did feel a bit weird, the way everyone was referred to as she. I sometimes felt like a narrative was being pushed. Ultimately though, it did not affect my overall enjoyment of the book.
Hunter Tester
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

I wondered at times if there were any males at all in the book. We find later that even males (those with penises or "outties") are referred to as she as well. So I'm still trying to make sense of that. It was confusing throughout on who was what. But I guess when you have AI's involved, everything can be complicated.
Fawmi FJumana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

I did make my own identification of characters depending on how they are described or by their naming. And I think it was interesting to see them trying to put all humans in one box.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I have to be honest. At first, I thought it was confusing. But grasping the thought of it, it’s a unique form of identification. Perhaps the author was trying to question the norms of individual identity and how it came to be. But here’s the page-turner, what if identity is nothing more than individual labeling? Identifying characters as either male or female is just a systemic way of categorizing individuals. Therefore, just like all systems, it is bound to change at some point. Well, in this case, at least to some extent.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Even though the author uses "she" in all the characters, I still imagine another gender when Kim interacts with them. Especially with sexual intercourse, it's hard to imagine another gender. That part is interesting how the author intelligibly wrote it.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It took some time for me to adjust to the idea that everyone is a "she," but I believe it is an effective approach to exploring ideas about identity, preferences, and uniqueness.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

At first it was initially confusing to form mental images of the characters in my head as they were all addressed as “she” even though some of their actions, dialogue and conversations evinced a masculine undertone. It became more bearable as the plot progressed though.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Vidhi Adhikari wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 00:24
Tara D Morgan wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 06:27 I imagined the characters in the book as whatever gender their name suggested eg Kimberley, Kim ( I know men can be called Kim but generally this is a female name) I imagined these characters in my head as female. Good question :D
I tried to keep the characters gender-neutral while reading. Although that was difficult, it helped me avoid categorizing them under gender-stereotypes.
In a way, that can be quite disturbing during a read. Mostly names like Kim are used to refer to the feminine gender and not unisex, so using Kim as a male gender alters the reader's mentality and drives at some point to confusion. I think the reason behind the author doing this is to create gender neutrality as he possibly can in the minds of his readers.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I tried to keep the characters gender neutral, but I was bothered that they were only referred to as "she" as I do not understand why "she" in the book is gender neutral. I still do not know if some were female or male, but I do not think it will change the story in any form.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

As I read, I formed assumptions about the characters' genders, but I didn't mind that most of the characters' genders weren't really stated by the author. It was a fairly intriguing surprise, in my opinion.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”