Gender and Romance

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Gender and Romance

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 15:40 What did everyone think about gender in Terms of Service? I thought it was a really interesting conversation-starter on individual identity. I found myself labeling some characters as male or female even though they were all referred to as "she," did anyone else imagine characters like this? I felt absolutely heartbroken during Kim's revelation about her sexuality. I was curious what everybody's thoughts were on these things!
I actually got frustrated at some point when reading about genders because I couldn't quite connect with this story arc or even Kim and Shan's romance. I wished the author had given a side note to the readers to explain why gender had been expunged in the book's society and what gender the characters belonged to based on the readers'understanding.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I did the same thing, I identified them as male or female based on their names despite the fact that everyone was referred to as she.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

I agree with you that I felt heartbroken on Kim's sexuality revolution, she could have still found love with a man, but the author chose that she found love in another gender and that is what I'm against.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 15:40 What did everyone think about gender in Terms of Service? I thought it was a really interesting conversation-starter on individual identity. I found myself labeling some characters as male or female even though they were all referred to as "she," did anyone else imagine characters like this? I felt absolutely heartbroken during Kim's revelation about her sexuality. I was curious what everybody's thoughts were on these things!
Likewise, I felt shattered hearing about Kim's sexual revelation. I tried to see every character as a "she" in this novel but in my mind, I labeled them based on the actual gender they possess.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I must admit that the presentation of gender in this book added a bit of mystery and intrigue to my reading as I found myself constantly wondering about the gender of the different characters in dialogue and how they possibly fit into my preconceived stereotypes and boxes.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

I did! I thought that Jo and Keli were a heterosexual couple until their genders were specified. Although all of the characters are referred to as 'she', most of their names, like Kim, Shan, Em, Quinn etc. are gender-neutral and it seems the only thing that separates them are their sexual organs. I find it interesting how even in a society full of females, Kim can still have a crisis about her sexuality, but I think it was a great character development as she figures out her identity. I am curious though, do they have periods in this society? Or since all humans are female, what happened to the males?
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

I believe that her personality has nothing to do with her sexuality. I saw Kim as a unique lady because she was diverse and didn’t limit herself. I believe that her major challenge started at her birth maybe because of her caregiver.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”