Gender and Romance

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Hannah Hampton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Gender and Romance

Post by Hannah Hampton »

What did everyone think about gender in Terms of Service? I thought it was a really interesting conversation-starter on individual identity. I found myself labeling some characters as male or female even though they were all referred to as "she," did anyone else imagine characters like this? I felt absolutely heartbroken during Kim's revelation about her sexuality. I was curious what everybody's thoughts were on these things!
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 15:40 I felt absolutely heartbroken during Kim's revelation about her sexuality.
Oh, me too! Specially they way she initially saw herself!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I also made my own individual identities for the characters, as I don't like the idea of stripping one of his/her identity. It was interesting though how they managed to put (or tried) all the humans in the box.
Maryam Newman
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryam-newman.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Maryam Newman »

With the main character being female and thus the personal pronouns being feminine for everyone, it made all the characters female by default until proven otherwise, which is a very interesting way to proceed through a book full of characters! I was caught out more than once, which was a good laugh; the biggest being the "woman" with the big red beard :-D
It was the craziest thing (and something I've never, ever come across before) to finish the book still not sure of some characters' actual gender. Such a unique aspect.
I do find it curious that readers would be heartbroken about Kim's sexual orientation. She was raised to be gender neutral, so that's how she saw herself, but everything about her encounters indicated her preference. This was cemented in my mind when Shan's gender was eventually revealed, as it was clear to me from the start that their relationship had been more than platonic.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I imagined the characters in the book as whatever gender their name suggested eg Kimberley, Kim ( I know men can be called Kim but generally this is a female name) I imagined these characters in my head as female. Good question :D
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I made guesses about the characters' genders as I was reading, but I didn't really mind that the other never really specified most of the characters' genders. I thought it was a really interesting twist.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think the actual gender of any of the characters is extremely relevant. The point seems to be that all of the characters were required to be gender neutral. None of them got to be who they were.it was decided for them.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

At first, I was also labelling some characters as male and female eventhough they were reffered to as she. However, as the book progressed, I noticed that the only gender being referred to were females, especially in times of intimacy.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

I'm still not clear as to the reason for the gender neutrality. Was that supposed to give the story a kind of mysterious aura, or something?
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister-inzai-avagalwa.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

I love the fact that there was gender neutrality. That way, each character was treated equally, not based on their gender, i.e., Kim and Shan
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The Cursed by Beth Schluter

Post by Olga Markova »

I personally liked the exposure given by the book to the gender and romance issues - suffice to mention the "fine for loitering with amorous intent". I believe the book addressed well the issues of "genderism" where everyone is expected to accept dates and intimacy with any person of any gender matched by the Matchmaker AI - the book creates a grotesque of the current topical issue of genderism.

As for Kim, I am happy that she found the strength to stand up for her genderist choice, whatever it is. The point is that humans must be afforded the freedom of choice.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

The narrative that was employed to narrate the events in this book was definitely peculiar and I found it quite intriguing trying to discover the individual identity and sexual orientation of the character’s as they were introduced. However, this puzzle probably distracted me from fully enjoying this book.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Hannah Hampton wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 15:40 What did everyone think about gender in Terms of Service? I thought it was a really interesting conversation-starter on individual identity. I found myself labeling some characters as male or female even though they were all referred to as "she," did anyone else imagine characters like this? I felt absolutely heartbroken during Kim's revelation about her sexuality. I was curious what everybody's thoughts were on these things!
I thought it was truly heartbreaking that people couldn't have preferences, even if they have such a strong repulsion to certain people. I just couldn't believe that in this modern society, the tables were turned. Instead of being gay being treated like a mental disorder, the book treats anyone that isn't equal to both innies and outies like they have a mental disorder. It's eerily similar, but just different enough to cause goosebumps. I hate the idea that if you're part of the LGBTQIA+ community, you have something wrong with you that needs to be fixed. I know it's not as common to hear that, but it still feels like it's common enough.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Maryam Newman wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 01:43 With the main character being female and thus the personal pronouns being feminine for everyone, it made all the characters female by default until proven otherwise, which is a very interesting way to proceed through a book full of characters! I was caught out more than once, which was a good laugh; the biggest being the "woman" with the big red beard :-D
It was the craziest thing (and something I've never, ever come across before) to finish the book still not sure of some characters' actual gender. Such a unique aspect.
I do find it curious that readers would be heartbroken about Kim's sexual orientation. She was raised to be gender neutral, so that's how she saw herself, but everything about her encounters indicated her preference. This was cemented in my mind when Shan's gender was eventually revealed, as it was clear to me from the start that their relationship had been more than platonic.
It was definitely crazy to not know everyone's gender lol. I was so sad when they said Kim needed to be fixed QAQ. I didn't realize their relationship was more until the big reveal.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:

Post by Aloe Crane »

Alex Reeves wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 02:22 I'm still not clear as to the reason for the gender neutrality. Was that supposed to give the story a kind of mysterious aura, or something?
Well hello there Alex! :tiphat: I think the main reason for gender neutrality was because the society in the book values gender neutrality. It makes it clear that they want everyone to be the same and like everyone. They want everyone to be equal, and it just adds to the story, I think! Have a nice day!

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”