What's your opinion on "The Author’s Final Words"?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
readingswithsoso
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Icon What's your opinion on "The Author’s Final Words"?

Post by readingswithsoso »

What's your opinion on "The Author’s Final Words"? The author says he fooled us because the book is a work of fiction, but not at the same time.

Did it ruin the final reading mood? Or did it give you a satisfactory feeling since you were thinking exactly the same?

I fit more into the second option. How about you?
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I don't feel it ruined anything. So I guesa i felt the second option also. The author did wrote the book very well.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Overall, I knew it was a work of fiction. But I’ll have to say that this caught me by surprise. I think the ending was well-deserved; questioning the reader about Kim’s future encounters. I also like the suspense this novel created. There were lots of scenes with unexpected outcomes, but Kim eventually managed to twist the predicaments one way or the other. So the context fitted in perfectly with the storyline, and it managed to give a satisfactory feeling.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

This, in my opinion, is a work of fiction that serves as a commentary on contemporary society. Despite being set in a futuristic society, it explores themes and issues that are current and relevant in today's world. It's enjoyable and thought-provoking for me.
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Indeed, I believe it is quite stating the obvious for the author to have admitted that this book was a work of fiction as this was also the impression that I got while reading. His words did not ruin the mood in anyway.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

I unfortunately didn’t like the book as much as I thought I would’ve in the first place. I found the author’s final words slightly off-putting. This could have been so as I perceived the author to have a rather negative approach to the future.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I was quite surprised when the author said, "fooled you" and came to my mind, really, am I, Kim or Kimberly? Yes, some ideas in the book are happening today but at least not all, especially all the negative predictions of the author. Overall, I enjoyed the book. The final notes don't take away my overall satisfaction with the book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I didn't particularly consider the final words of the author to be significant. I absolutely considered the book to be a work of fiction. I enjoyed it overall and the final words did nothing to make me change my opinion.
Bavithra karthikeyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-karthikeyan.html
Latest Review: This Affects Me How? by M.K. Corbin

Post by Bavithra karthikeyan »

The author's words, "Fooled you!" took me by surprise. But negative approach or prediction about the future kind of ruined the mood a little. Otherwise the book was very engaging.
Between the pages of a book is the loveliest place to be :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

For a long time, I have known perfectly well that both in books and in fictional films, an implicit reality is shown, told from a "fictional" point of view so that it is not taken seriously by someone. Of course, this is my opinion.

So, since I started reading the book, I realized many interesting things that it shows between the lines, that is why the second option is the one chosen for me.
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

I think the Author's Final Words were very impactful. I enjoyed the book as a whole, but the afterword really reminded me that this is not just a work of fiction. Sci-fi tends to imagine a path that the world could take, and seeing so many of society's evils extrapolated in the book made me seriously consider things like consumption and conformity. The horrors felt a bit too familiar, and I think that his warning is good food for thought.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

I also agreed with the second opinion. After seeing so many movies that share the same ideals, it's difficult to say that there isn't a trend somewhere, or could is just be the imagination if multiple individuals or people who just carry one person's message?
I can't tell, what I do know is that the final note made me imagine whether such a story could one day end up as non-fiction and not a sci-fi novel. I also believe that the author wanted his readers to feel that way.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

The book has a serious subject matter on a dystopian world and AIs. That is very fictional and obvious. The authors final words did not ruin anything for me, but I don't agree with the part where he said he fooled us. It was a great book nonetheless.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I share the author's sentiment/fear that this is more than a work of fiction. The rapid technological advancement, though it has its own positives, has more negatives than benefits. It will do us more harm than good. AI is slowly replacing humans, and the powers that be will use these plus more to oppress the lowly in society.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Moddesser Elahi
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

readingswithsoso wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 18:21 What's your opinion on "The Author’s Final Words"? The author says he fooled us because the book is a work of fiction, but not at the same time.

Did it ruin the final reading mood? Or did it give you a satisfactory feeling since you were thinking exactly the same?

I fit more into the second option. How about you?
It did not ruin my mood. AI is getting more and more prevalent. So maybe our future could be somewhat similar to what the author wants to tell us through this novel.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”