What is your opinion about the "fashion" and clothing options allowed in this community?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2022 Book of the Month, "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=523945

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bettny Andrade
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

What is your opinion about the "fashion" and clothing options allowed in this community?

Post by Bettny Andrade »

To me, it's really shocking that they're only allowed to wear certain colors, let alone that they're always pale. Speaking from a color psychology perspective, it's like they want them to always be "asleep and submissive."

The way to dominate the population, by those who exercise power, from the smallest detail is complete madness.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I like that part of the story. It's about getting everyone to conform. Nobody is allowed to stand out or be noticed, so keeping everyone in that yucky beige enables that.
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

Growing up I went to a school where everyone had to wear uniforms. They were drab and quite ugly. I can confirm that never having to pick out an outfit was nice, but wearing the same thing every day was a bit depressing.

In the book, I think it falls more under the idea of conforming. If it were truly about no one standing out, there would be no "trends". It is mentioned that having clothes that are out of style or the wrong color could mark you as a Selfist. If it were about conforming, everyone would have a standard-issue wardrobe. That shows me that it is just another way to control the population. This keeps their bank accounts empty and creates worries where there needn't be, so the citizens don't get any ideas.

This can be seen in the end of the book, with Kim's transformation. Her caring less about the clothing directly correlates to her rebellion from the UCE.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

They purposely picked out the kind of colors they wear so as to keep everyone in check. The pale clothes is for enacting submission and conformity.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 02 Apr 2023, 18:34 To me, it's really shocking that they're only allowed to wear certain colors, let alone that they're always pale. Speaking from a color psychology perspective, it's like they want them to always be "asleep and submissive."

The way to dominate the population, by those who exercise power, from the smallest detail is complete madness.
I love this detail inserted by the author, which shows that the government controls them even down to the most insignificant but personal choices, like fashion. This detail, like the rest of the book, was an exaggerated but true aspect of our society because youth nowadays are slaves to trends and fast fashion, always eager to copy what their favourite influencer is wearing and quickly discarding last summer's clothes for the latest trends.
Ohanele Chinonyerem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohanele-chinonyerem.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ohanele Chinonyerem »

It was weird to me when I found out about the dress code. It make me remember the days when we were still forced to go to school on uniforms and that was not cool for long.

Return to “Discuss "Terms of Service: Subject to change without notice" by Craig W. Stanfill”