Winter Fun (Dec '22)

For December 2022, we will be reading holiday-based and/or winter-based books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Winter Fun (Dec '22)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What kind of winter do experience usually? Cold and snowy? Warm and sunny?
What some of your favorite activities and/or traditions you enjoy during the winter? :occasion-snowman:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I can’t wait to go snowshoeing and tubing this winter with my toddler!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I live somewhere where winters are long and cold. Last year we had our first snowfall in September, this year Mother Nature was kind enough to wait until mid-October, but the real snow didn't come until early November.
In terms of what I do with the winter weather...not much. It is my best excuse to hole up and read :techie-studyingbrown: with a hot coffee. But driving here can be considered an extreme winter sport. HA! My family and I try to go sledding at least a couple times, and there are a few really good hills within walking distance. Hot cocoa after is a must and could be considered a tradition at this point since it is always the first thing my kids ask when we start walking home from the hill.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ArielJMartin wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 22:29 I live somewhere where winters are long and cold. Last year we had our first snowfall in September, this year Mother Nature was kind enough to wait until mid-October, but the real snow didn't come until early November.
In terms of what I do with the winter weather...not much. It is my best excuse to hole up and read :techie-studyingbrown: with a hot coffee. But driving here can be considered an extreme winter sport. HA! My family and I try to go sledding at least a couple times, and there are a few really good hills within walking distance. Hot cocoa after is a must and could be considered a tradition at this point since it is always the first thing my kids ask when we start walking home from the hill.
Wow, snow in September/October? Once in a while we may get one in October here, but that’s but always guaranteed. It’s December and no snow so far.

Sledding as a family sounds fun! I love that you and your kids have hot chocolate afterwards. Such a perfect way to end a perfecr snowy adventure!

Thank you for sharing! :)
Heidi

TheMobilityMom
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TheMobilityMom »

As a Florida girl, we have weird weather. It's cold some days and then hot on others. The joke is at 6 AM it's winter, 11 AM spring, 3 PM summer, and 7 PM fall. So please dress accordingly.

Our winter tradition is doing Disney for Christmas. My son has grown up on Disney and as a young adult enjoys going still. Though cruising with Disney has become our new normal these days.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TheMobilityMom wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 14:05 As a Florida girl, we have weird weather. It's cold some days and then hot on others. The joke is at 6 AM it's winter, 11 AM spring, 3 PM summer, and 7 PM fall. So please dress accordingly.

Our winter tradition is doing Disney for Christmas. My son has grown up on Disney and as a young adult enjoys going still. Though cruising with Disney has become our new normal these days.
Haha, I didn't know that the weather in Florida can change so quickly! We're in New England, so weather can be a bit funky here, too, but winter is usually pretty cold.

It's so great that you're so close to Disney to be able to enjoy it as much as you'd like! I haven't been since I was 10 years old! Hopefully, we can share the magic of Disney with our kids when they're a bit older.

Thank you for sharing! :D
Heidi

TheMobilityMom
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TheMobilityMom »

I love being close to Disney it helps to be able to go often as I specialize in Disney as a travel agent. I love being able to help clients.

I have to say I do miss the north sometimes as a girl born in NH I miss snow on Christmas morning but do not miss shoveling it daily just to get to my car.
All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

Walt Disney
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

TheMobilityMom wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 01:05 I love being close to Disney it helps to be able to go often as I specialize in Disney as a travel agent. I love being able to help clients.

I have to say I do miss the north sometimes as a girl born in NH I miss snow on Christmas morning but do not miss shoveling it daily just to get to my car.
Oh wow, that is convenient!

The snow is pretty, but definitely not fun to shovel afterwards!
Heidi

Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Well, living in a tropical country, we only have summer and winter. Winter here is heavy rain especially when we have typhoons. But our winter has sunny and then drizzles, and suddenly has heavy rain. It's a combination of the 3. My favorite activity when raining, firstly is sleeping haha, it's so muddy outside when I will go out. When it's not, I read with hot coffee. Stays in bed. Or when the kids are awake, I play with them. It's so nice to hear there in your place about snow, cold, and snow activities. It's interesting to hear. Enjoy your wintertime there. And Enjoy the Christmas season! Happy holidays everyone!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 20:34 Well, living in a tropical country, we only have summer and winter. Winter here is heavy rain especially when we have typhoons. But our winter has sunny and then drizzles, and suddenly has heavy rain. It's a combination of the 3. My favorite activity when raining, firstly is sleeping haha, it's so muddy outside when I will go out. When it's not, I read with hot coffee. Stays in bed. Or when the kids are awake, I play with them. It's so nice to hear there in your place about snow, cold, and snow activities. It's interesting to hear. Enjoy your wintertime there. And Enjoy the Christmas season! Happy holidays everyone!
Oh goodness...typhoons? I don't think I've ever experienced a typhoon before. It sounds scary.

Reading and sleeping are wonderful activities to do in any yucky weather (or good weather, too)! Playing with kids is always fun, too!

It's funny because growing up (in the same state that I'm living in now), I didn't do many winter-related activities because my parents grew up in the Dominican Republic, which had zero snow. However, since meeting my husband, I've been a bit more adventurous. My toddler made his first snow angel the other day and was able to be pulled in his little sled around the yard!

I hope you also enjoy the Christmas season, and Happy Holidays to you, too! :)
Heidi

Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Heidi M Simone wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 21:27
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 20:34
Oh goodness...typhoons? I don't think I've ever experienced a typhoon before. It sounds scary.

Reading and sleeping are wonderful activities to do in any yucky weather (or good weather, too)! Playing with kids is always fun, too!

It's funny because growing up (in the same state that I'm living in now), I didn't do many winter-related activities because my parents grew up in the Dominican Republic, which had zero snow. However, since meeting my husband, I've been a bit more adventurous. My toddler made his first snow angel the other day and was able to be pulled in his little sled around the yard!

Typhoon is scary in flood areas. Good thing I am located not prone to flood. And we used to have typhoons in PH since we are facing the Pacific Ocean, so we don't feel scared at all. Oh, you haven't experienced a typhoon, such a nice place that typhoon doesn't exist. Always safe from it.

Yes, I agree with those activities and in the rainy season (even not).

Wow, sounds wonderful! I'm sure the baby enjoy this for the first time. So anything planned for interesting snow activity this December? I'm interested in just walking in the forest filled with snow. I dream of that. The trees look magical with snow on them. I think skiing is wonderful to try too.

Thank you, Heide! My Christmas season is going great! Hope everyone will have a prosperous Christmas and a joyful new year! Let's welcome 2023 with positivities in life.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 22:50
Heidi M Simone wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 21:27
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 20:34

Typhoon is scary in flood areas. Good thing I am located not prone to flood. And we used to have typhoons in PH since we are facing the Pacific Ocean, so we don't feel scared at all. Oh, you haven't experienced a typhoon, such a nice place that typhoon doesn't exist. Always safe from it.

Yes, I agree with those activities and in the rainy season (even not).

Wow, sounds wonderful! I'm sure the baby enjoy this for the first time. So anything planned for interesting snow activity this December? I'm interested in just walking in the forest filled with snow. I dream of that. The trees look magical with snow on them. I think skiing is wonderful to try too.

Thank you, Heide! My Christmas season is going great! Hope everyone will have a prosperous Christmas and a joyful new year! Let's welcome 2023 with positivities in life.
I’m glad you feel safe! That’s so important.

Thank you for asking! I would love to go snowshoeing and tubing. I think tubing will doable with my toddler if one of us holds him. I’m not sure about snowshoeing this year since he’s only two. We’ll see. I’ve done both in the past and have had so much fun!

My husband loves to ski, so we’re hoping we stsrt the tradition of skiing in the winter within the next couple of years with the kids. I’ve only ever done cross-country skiing, but definitely will join my children as they learn how to ski (maybe I can learn with them!).

Snow is very pretty to look at, and in many ways I’m grateful to be able to experience it. I will say shoveling isn’t always fun, but we do have a snowblower that helps.

I love Christmas! Yes, let’s welcome 2023 with positivities! :)
Heidi

Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Wow, I googled tubing, it looks so much fun. Yeah, I agree your toddler will love it. What's his/her name? Snowshoeing is great. When I have a chance, I want to try snowshoeing coz I love to roam around in nature. Wow, I'm glad to know you had try it and had so much fun.

Wow, so interesting to hear your husband does skiing. I hope you will have a family skiing soon. That is surely enjoyable.

Yes, snow is magical to look at. I love seeing it on the internet since that's the only way I can enjoy the snow (virtually). Yes, for me, having 4 seasons are amazing. You always see beautiful and new environments in a couple of months. That's an advantage. I wish my place is like that as well but yeah, I still enjoy the tropical weather. It's good there are snowblowers. That's helps so much.

Thanks for replying Heide. It's good to know some of the things around your place! I appreciate you!

All the best,
Hazel
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 04:41 Wow, I googled tubing, it looks so much fun. Yeah, I agree your toddler will love it. What's his/her name? Snowshoeing is great. When I have a chance, I want to try snowshoeing coz I love to roam around in nature. Wow, I'm glad to know you had try it and had so much fun.

Wow, so interesting to hear your husband does skiing. I hope you will have a family skiing soon. That is surely enjoyable.

Yes, snow is magical to look at. I love seeing it on the internet since that's the only way I can enjoy the snow (virtually). Yes, for me, having 4 seasons are amazing. You always see beautiful and new environments in a couple of months. That's an advantage. I wish my place is like that as well but yeah, I still enjoy the tropical weather. It's good there are snowblowers. That's helps so much.

Thanks for replying Heide. It's good to know some of the things around your place! I appreciate you!

All the best,
Hazel
It is fun! My toddler loves slides, speed, and snow, so I also think he’ll enjoy tubing! :)

I sometimes complain about the snow and cold, but it is home to me and I’m not sure what it’d be like to live without all four seasons (fall leaves are so pretty). I will say, though, I do love the heat and if we had more warmer weather, I definitely wouldn’t mind!

I appreciate our conversations, too! I love hearing how other people live. Puts everything to perspective. :) Thank you for chatting with me!
Heidi

Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I'm jealous of all of you people who live in warm climates! I'm in Seattle - our winters are usually rainy and fairly mild. It means we don't get much sun, but also we aren't freezing. Every winter seems a bit different, and right now we're in a cold streak. I'd love a good dose of 80 degree (F) weather and sun!

Return to “December 2022 Genre Discussion”