Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Shedrack A »

I believe it is essential for parents to educate their children about sexual matters. Without proper guidance, children may end up learning about sex and sexuality from unreliable sources, such as the media or peers, which may lead to misunderstandings and potentially harmful behaviors.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

I agree with you
Parents should be free in discussing sex-related topics with their children. It will also enable their children to be free to ahare any sort of sexual abuse arising from any person
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Yeah. I think that questions about sexuality should be answered by parents. Of course, you must have enough communication and trust so that children can feel safe asking you a question like that.

Assertive communication is a fundamental role, and also one's own maturity, to be able to express the meaning of whatever they ask in the best way and with the level of respect that this entails.
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Doomsday Clock by Mark Pearson

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Lying to children is not healthy. Children need responsible adults who may be able to guide them.

It is alarming the misconceptions that a child can grow up with when their parents do not want to tell them about a subject (especially if it is about sex, and all the subjects), and they evade it, or simply the adults lie.
Justin Christensen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justin-christensen.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Justin Christensen »

I can't imagine being anything but honest with my kids, but I also don't know that I have to give them every little detail when they ask a question. My oldest is 5 and (so far) she totally gets it when I tell her that some things she has to wait until she's bigger to learn/do/talk about, but I try hard not to just avoid her questions and I have been able to avoid being dishonest with her so far. Well, except for about Santa Claus... that's a lie that I can get behind!
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Yes, it is always better to be honest but in an age appropriate way. If we fail to answer our kid's questions, they will still find assets elsewhere. It's better to create an open and honest relationships with our kids which fosters trust.
Claire Twy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
I think honesty is important but at the same time, it depends on the child's age. I would not have liked my innocence to be sullied at the ripe old age of six years old if when I had asked my mother how children were made, she gave me the full, graphic story instead of the simple 'God gave them to me' answer I received.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Claire Twy wrote: 23 Apr 2023, 23:05
Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
I think honesty is important but at the same time, it depends on the child's age. I would not have liked my innocence to be sullied at the ripe old age of six years old if when I had asked my mother how children were made, she gave me the full, graphic story instead of the simple 'God gave them to me' answer I received.
Absolutely! I didn't give my son a "full, graphic story," I was very selective with my terminology. And in our current times perhaps we need to be honest as opposed to what the schools are teaching our children!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

Yes, parents should answer their children's questions about sexual topics honestly and age-appropriately. Being open and honest about sex and sexuality can help children develop a healthy and positive attitude towards their own bodies and relationships.

It is important to remember that children will ask questions about sex and sexuality at different ages and stages of development, so it is essential for parents to be prepared to answer these questions in an age-appropriate manner. For example, young children may simply want to know where babies come from, while older children and teenagers may have questions about sexual health, contraception, and relationships.

It is also important for parents to create a safe and supportive environment where children feel comfortable asking questions without fear of judgement or shame. This can help children develop a healthy attitude towards sex and sexuality and feel more confident and empowered to make informed decisions about their own sexual health and relationships in the future.
Olivia Bird Whitworth
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-bird-whitworth.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Olivia Bird Whitworth »

Patty Allread wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 18:53 I agree that parents should be honest in answering their children's questions about anything, including sex. One of the things I like about this book is the first chapter which clearly describes the physiology of male and female reproduction and the process of creating a pregnancy. As adults and parents, we know how it goes, but how many of us can honestly say we have a sound knowledge of all these details? Understanding the technology of sex makes it much easier for us to be honest with our children and provide reasonable answers that won't confuse them.
I also really liked the first chapter of this book! I have a daughter who isn't talking yet, but I think about how I might explain things to her somehow when she starts asking. I hadn't come up with a good way to do it yet, but after reading this book I feel better. I liked that the description of where we come from started with a sperm meeting an egg, and explaining that one comes from dad and one from mom, as opposed to feeling like we need to start the conversation with sex or avoid the topic entirely.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

I think we all should educate our children with this knowledge of reproduction and menstruation and not just about sex but also about the other body parts. Children's curiosity increases because their guardians neglect them and then they try to find out on their own that's when they make mistakes and it might become trauma or anything else. I must say, for their betterment and good upbringing, they need to be learned enough.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Abbie Braun
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbie-braun.html
Latest Review: City of Shards by Steve Rodgers

Post by Abbie Braun »

I think that parents definitely need to discuss sex with their children. If as a parent you shy away from such subjects, the children learn that it's not okay to talk about and they may end up in dangerous situations. Having a clear understanding of the body, how it works, what feels good, and what doesn't feel good is vital information. However, there is a time and a place to discuss sex and the body. Additionally, there is a certain age for these subjects to be discussed. I would never explain sex in full gory detail to a six year old. I would filter the information based on the child's understanding.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Just like you said it depends on the age and how matured the child is. However as parents if we don't tell our kids the truth do we expect others outside to do that? I think it is best we are honest so we can secure their trust on matters about sex.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I agree that parents should answer children's question about sexuality honestly but in ways they can easily comprehend. I appreciate how you were honest with your son and understand why grandma didn't discuss the topic. That mentality is one good thing the author addressed in the book.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: 21 Hacks to ROCK your Midlife! by Cat Coluccio

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

There is nothing to hide about sex. Children should be enlightened about sex so even when they are being molested the would realize it and able to report to the appropriate people. Lack of this knowledge would make them think it is normal.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”