Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Joanna Olson »

I think especially in this day and age, it's important for parents to answer their children's questions about sexuality honestly, but also in an age appropriate manner.
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I think children should be given honest answers about their children. Children tend to believe what they hear from their peers too. It would be better if they received correct and well-filtered information from their parents than discovering they were lied to through information gotten from their peers.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I want to say for the most part; yes. Because children will be curious regardless and they’ll find their answers elsewhere. But then I also think that a blanket statement like that isn’t right. A case by case basis seems like the best way to handle this.
it is what it is ....
Meghan Sica
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-sica.html
Latest Review: House of Hoops by June Gillam

Post by Meghan Sica »

I feel it depends on the child's age and comprehension. My son asked me the same thing as the same age. I did not give him all the details because I knew he was too young to understand it would lead from one question to another. I gave him very brief details about it and when he is a bit older I will explain to him fully.
AllTooWell
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

YES. There is nothing else I could say, parents, should absolutely talk about their children honestly and openly about sex.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I think parents should be honest but cautious. There is no need to go into explicit details when discussing the topic with children. The author does provide some insight into dealing with this question as well as the dangers of not being honest about things.
Naghma Qureshi
Currently Reading: The Whole-Brain Child
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naghma-qureshi.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Naghma Qureshi »

I too absolutely agree with the author about this. The world outside is unlimited to explore and our young explorers are tiny but great curious minds. We also should not wait for them to ask. We may get late if we wait for a question. We should gently and gradually introduce sexual knowledge to our children. The information is better to come from us than from an unreliable or naive source. The author is right about honesty while talking to our kids. It is essential to avoid misunderstanding, false body image or false beliefs, embarrassment, and lack of self-awareness.
Natasha Hlongwane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-hlongwane.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natasha Hlongwane »

It depends on their age and level of understanding. I believe that some things are just not for children to know, and they should be protected as much as possible from exposure to adult topics. It's up to the parents to discern what's appropriate to discuss with the child at their particular age.
Phoebe Felix
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoebe-felix.html
Latest Review: Dark Agendas of Power by Kevin Glenn

Post by Phoebe Felix »

It all depends on the age of the child. However, lying to them to distract their mind isn't good. Parents should study their children and know when the appropriate time to have conversations on sex is. That way, the children do not need to ask before they know.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I believe parents should be honest with their kids and on time too as it has many benefits especially when it comes to issues regarding molestation.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

No, never lie to them. Always find a way, either with age appropriate books or picture books, to help you explain things just enough to settle their question and ease their curiosity for the moment. But don’t lie. Also tell them to not discuss these things to their friends. That these are only for kids and parents to talk about.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

I do agree that parents must be honest when discussing sex topics with their children. However, I would hope that the explanation that parents give is simple to understand and appropriate for their children's age. Thus, I would encourage age-related responses.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Laney K »

I think it depends on the age of the child. I think if the child is old enough to understand, age may vary depending on the kid, then they should be told the truth.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Laney K »

Pauline Parnell wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 01:45 I do agree that parents must be honest when discussing sex topics with their children. However, I would hope that the explanation that parents give is simple to understand and appropriate for their children's age. Thus, I would encourage age-related responses.
I agree that age-related responses are needed. Young children don't need to know the same level of detail as older kids.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I completely agree that parents should always answer their children's questions about sexual topics honestly. The way I look at it is if parents don't, the child will find other avenues to get the answers, and it won't necessarily be the right way. Also, when you are free with your children on topics like these, they feel more comfortable coming to you with any other issues in the future.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”