Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Ruka N »

Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
Well said! I believe so too. It just gives the best results.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Tropical Scandal by David Myles Robinson

Post by Ruka N »

Leasa Ana Maria wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 15:24 I believe that we should answer children's sexual-related questions honestly and as best we can. In our present, because of technology and the access that we have given them to it, if we avoid these answers, they will find the answers somewhere else, and this aspect could harm them more than what we could have told them. 
Yes, agreed. And that would end up doing more damage than good.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
I think it is very important to be honest with your children about this topic. Otherwise, they believe what they hear at school from their peers, which could be totally wrong.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

I agreed with the author on the idea of being honest with children about most things, especially about sex and procreation. But I believe there is a tactful way to have such discussions since children are still innocent and we want to preserve that innocence as long as we can.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think we should always be honest but in an age-appropriate way. Kids will learn from their friends, if they don't learn it at home, and I don't know about you, but I would rather explain it to them than having them hearing bits and pieces of misinformation.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 21:08
I think it is very important to be honest with your children about this topic. Otherwise, they believe what they hear at school from their peers, which could be totally wrong.
And usually is wrong! Thanks for commenting, Bertha!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 12:50 I think we should always be honest but in an age-appropriate way. Kids will learn from their friends, if they don't learn it at home, and I don't know about you, but I would rather explain it to them than having them hearing bits and pieces of misinformation.
Absolutely, so would I! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Parents should certainly be honest with their children about sexual topics. First, it opens a bridge of communication between parents and children and they will not be afraid to come to you with questions. In addition, this prevents them from being taken advantage of as they have the information and cannot be tricked and lied to by others or the internet.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Depending on the topic. I am a traditionalist view: meaning I believe there are only 2 genders. In the terms of sex- like the question of "How does a baby get in the mother's stomach," I would explain the truth in a form that the child understands. If a child asks "I feel like a boy" and they were born a girl, ask them what that means. Most of the time, they will answer with what they want to do that is socially viewed as the opposite gender's activity. The older the child the more in-depth questions will be and I believe honesty is the better outcome.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I believe that parents should be forthright and honest with their children about sexual matters because in some cases, it may be the strongest defense you can offer them against child molesters.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

100% parents should be honest with their children.

Growing up, my mom always made sure that I never felt uncomfortable or silly for asking about sex and how it works. She would rather have the slightly uncomfortable conversations with me than have me go out into the world completely uneducated. I believe this is a topic that is far too dangerous to not understand.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

I do agree with you on this one because children might resort to using unreliable sources of information if their parents are not willing to offer a safe place to answer their questions.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I agree that we should be truthful while addressing our children's inquiries. even when discussing explicit subjects. Since their children believed all their parents claimed to be true. However, we must also convey to them that this is not a subject that should be taken lightly or discussed in public.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I agree that we should be truthful while addressing our children's inquiries. even when discussing explicit subjects. Since their children believed all their parents claimed to be true. However, we must also convey to them that this is not a subject that should be taken lightly or discussed in public.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

Definitely, age is a defining factor. Children want to practice everything they see and hear about. It's essential to protect them from some vital information at certain ages. But I'll say, "talk to your teenage children freely. They are experiencing completely new changes, and they need proper guidance to come into this change." There are always pg versions for the kids

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”