Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Huini Hellen »

Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 19:53 I agree that we ahould be honest in answering our children question. Even about sexual topics. Because everything the parents said became the truth for their children. But we also must give them an understanding that such topic isn't something to discuss lightly or publicly.
Hi Rocky, I agree that when it comes to sex, parents should be honest with their children. However, they should also give them an understanding that such topics aren't something to discuss lightly or publicly; they shouldn't be too explicit. Children need to know that sexuality is a natural part of life, but they don't need to know every detail about it. As parents, we should explain the facts without being graphic or inappropriate. I agree that parents should not be afraid to talk about sex with their children. But there are some things that are better left for discussion when both parents and children are in a private setting.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Moonlight + wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 08:21 Parents should definitely try and be honest when it comes to sensitive topics such as sex. Lying or not answering questions will only make the kids curious. Furthermore if you ain't open with your kids how do you expect them to open up to you if it comes to matters of sexual abuse?
Hi Moonlight, you raise valid points on parents not lying to their children. If you ain't open with your kids, how do you expect them to open up to you if it comes to matters of sexual abuse? If you don't answer their questions, they will find answers elsewhere. One way is through the internet, which can be dangerous. If you have a teenager, you should be honest with them about sex. It’s important for young people to know that their parents are open to talking about these subjects and will not judge them if they ask questions. By being honest and open, it helps teens feel comfortable talking to you about anything. As parents, it is our duty to protect our children from any harm. But this does not mean that we should shelter them from the reality of life. Sex is a natural part of life, and we must not shy away from talking about this with our kids.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 23:12 It is better for parents to be honest with their children about these topics rather than the child learning the wrong details from the wrong people. Shying away from the topic only does more harm than good. If parents are able to open up to children, it also helps gain a different level of trust and bonds them further.
Hi Smrithi, I agree with you that this will not only help the parents maintain their relationships with their children, but also teach them about the importance of communication. This is because the parent-child relationship is one that’s built on trust. And when there are secrets in it, children will feel very much left out or even betrayed.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Sugar Rush wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 19:02 I think it would depend on the age of my child. If my child is very young I should just stick with the normal tales about sexual topics. However if they are old enough, it should be safe to discuss them. At that age, they are old enough to understand. If not we may be kick starting their curiosity.
Hi Sugar, I second your point that it is very important for parents to talk about sex with their children. It’s not just a taboo subject, it’s something that every child needs to know about. The best way to get your children to talk about sex is just to be honest with them. If they ask you a question, answer it honestly and openly. If they want more information than you can give them, offer to find a book or website that will explain it in more detail.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

MsTri wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 13:22 I absolutely think parents should be honest with their children about sexual matters. With that being said, the age of the child would depend on what answers are given and how phrased. From the time mine were tots, they knew babies were NOT in a mommy's "tummy" but in her womb; I was really big on correct terminology - so "penis" instead of "peepee", for instance - and it still drives me crazy when I hear people talking about babies being in tummies; this is exactly why some children have worried about having a baby in the tummy from eating the wrong thing.
If a child is asking questions and the parent isn't sure how to answer, I think it's important to talk with them about what they are asking and why they want answers. This can help lead to an open discussion on the topic. For instance, if a child asked about sex and their parents said “it is something that happens between people when they love each other” would this be an accurate explanation or would it cause more confusion? I think it depends on how much information the child already has.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Hellen Muriithi wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 03:54
Hi Smrithi, I agree with you that this will not only help the parents maintain their relationships with their children, but also teach them about the importance of communication. This is because the parent-child relationship is one that’s built on trust. And when there are secrets in it, children will feel very much left out or even betrayed.
Yes Hellen, that is very true. Unfortunately, when children start feeling left out and betrayed, they start hiding things, the rebellion begins and some start straying towards the wrong path too. Although these are some extreme consequences, it all begins with one small lie to a child one might think is incapable of processing complex topics and emotions.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

For me the age of the child matters alot. For instance there is a child you could expose this truth to and the child will keep trying his best to make sure that he/she experiment that which he was exposed to. There is time that's why the society does not include such topic in a child's curriculum. I disagree with it.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Parents need to start opening up on these things. Most things, the children ask, not because they don't know, but because they want to hear their opinion on the subject. So when parents shy away from these discussions, the children go out and hear things from people who are willing to talk, and most times, they give wrong advices.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

Kids are curious and they would want to know. It’s reasonable to educate them as is appropriate for their age. It’s better that they are educated by their parents before they resort to other means. Some of their curiosity will die out once they are educated keeping in view their age and intellect. The more you hide it from them, the more curious they would become!
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I completely agree with you and the that parents should answer their children's questions relating to the body and also sexual topics. I am happy that you answered your child honestly. That way, he wouldn't get to find out the answer to his question the wrong way. This is one important thing I learned from the book.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I agree with you that parents should answer their children honestly when it comes to this issue, but there should be a certain age range.
Jerry Spencer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-spencer.html
Latest Review: I Said, "I Am A Nun" by June A Ramsay

Post by Jerry Spencer »

I would say yes. Children find out a lot on their own so there's no point in making them see you as a liar. I would encourage sharing the truth with children once they start being inquisitive.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, I think we should tell the truth if they ask about sexuality. But of course, it depends on the age of the children and how we can explain it. Obviously, It is not easy to find the simplest answer to make them understand. But we could always remind them at the end that the older you get, the more you will understand.
Sheri Iodice
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheri-iodice.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sheri Iodice »

I definitely think that parents should answer their kids questions about sex. Open discussions prevent self discovery done in the wrong ways, in my opinion. If a child is not afraid to ask you a question, and knows that they are going to get an honest answer, they will usually come to you first when they do question something.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

I believe parents should be honest and lying about sex is not right. However, it should depend on the age of the child and the questions they ask. I was pleased to know that my son came home from school to talk about private parts when he was only four years old. They had taught them in school why other people, whether children or adults, were not allowed to touch or see their private parts, and what to do in such a situation, as these parts were reserved for only them. I further reinforced this by telling him the name of his private part.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”