Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Should Parents answer their children's question about sexual topics honestly?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I completely agree with your perspective. Honesty is essential when it comes to discussing sensitive topics such as sex and the human body with children. Providing age-appropriate information can help children develop a healthy understanding of their bodies and relationships. It's natural for children to be curious about these topics, and as parents or caregivers, it's our responsibility to provide accurate information and support them in a non-judgmental manner.

Your experience is an excellent example of how children can be curious and uninhibited in asking questions about the body, and it's up to the adults to provide appropriate answers. I believe that being open and honest with children can help create a safe and comfortable environment where they feel comfortable discussing these topics.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
When a child can understand already that particular topic, then yes. But in my case, I grew up with parents who don't want to talk about such a sensitive topic. Cultures differ indeed!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Depending on their age, parents can answer children's curious questions about sensitive topics. However, it is extremely necessary to not go over the top. Clearing that it is a natural process and explaining it most simply makes the topic less awkward.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 06:22
Brenda Creech wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 08:57 I agree with the author that parents should always answer their children's questions about the body and sexual topics honestly. A funny story aside from this: When my son was around six years old, he asked me how babies got inside their mommy's stomach. Being a 'modern' mother, I explained to my son. Later that day, when we stopped by MY mom's house, he ran in and said, "Grandma, do you know where babies come from?" My mom was shy and would have never talked about such things to her grandchildren, so she was shocked that I had! Despite that, I believe we need to be as honest as possible based on their age and ability to understand. What do you think?
When a child can understand already that particular topic, then yes. But in my case, I grew up with parents who don't want to talk about such a sensitive topic. Cultures differ indeed!
My mother didn't want to talk about it either!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Nyam Bura wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 13:51 I grew up in a society where parents are never free to discuss the topic of sex with their children. It was difficult for me to ever discuss such issues with my parents. I agree with the author that parents should teach their children about sex at an early age. This also protects children from sexual abuse as they will feel free to discuss the issues with their parents.
Yes, indeed. Knowing what's wrong can encourage children to be open with their parents. It can save so many lives and unnecessary traumas in their adulthood.
Anthony Ekemezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-ekemezie.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Anthony Ekemezie »

Honestly, I don’t think it is appropriate for parents to discuss sex with their children until they have reached a certain age that would enable them comprehend what it is all about. Yes, it is natural for children to be curious about these things, and I don’t also mean that parents should lie to their children, but they should find a way to present their response.
AnInternationalMountainMan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

I believe the answer to this question depends on multiple factors.
1. The Age of said child.
2. The maturity that chikd shows towards you and the topic.
3. Was this topic already tought in school?
And
4. The reason why the child askes.
If the child is old and mature enough, or has already learned about or is curious about sex, thenI believe it is reasonable to answer those questions as a parent
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Definitely, one of the things my wife and I decided before our son was born is that we want to be honest with him no matter what, it may make for some awkward or difficult conversations but better than the alternative for me.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Oh yes! I'm a supporter of early sex education. It goes a long way to protect them later in life from things like STIs and unwanted pregnancies, as they will be more informed to make decisions.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I absolutely think parents should be honest with their children about sexual matters. With that being said, the age of the child would depend on what answers are given and how phrased. From the time mine were tots, they knew babies were NOT in a mommy's "tummy" but in her womb; I was really big on correct terminology - so "penis" instead of "peepee", for instance - and it still drives me crazy when I hear people talking about babies being in tummies; this is exactly why some children have worried about having a baby in the tummy from eating the wrong thing.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do believe that we need to be honest with our children whatever their question. But it also needs to be age-appropriate. My parents never discussed these topics with me so I learned from my friends. I got information that they probably wished I didn’t have.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Maxreview wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 08:40 Oh yes! I'm a supporter of early sex education. It goes a long way to protect them later in life from things like STIs and unwanted pregnancies, as they will be more informed to make decisions.
I think it also reduces the risk of children doing their own research and finding who knows what out there.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

I think it would depend on the age of my child. If my child is very young I should just stick with the normal tales about sexual topics. However if they are old enough, it should be safe to discuss them. At that age, they are old enough to understand. If not we may be kick starting their curiosity.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

It is better for parents to be honest with their children about these topics rather than the child learning the wrong details from the wrong people. Shying away from the topic only does more harm than good. If parents are able to open up to children, it also helps gain a different level of trust and bonds them further.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

Parents should definitely try and be honest when it comes to sensitive topics such as sex. Lying or not answering questions will only make the kids curious. Furthermore if you ain't open with your kids how do you expect them to open up to you if it comes to matters of sexual abuse?

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”