Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Re: Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I have the sensation that the way the concept of sexual abstinence is seen and taken in today's society is similar to how having relationships outside of marriage was seen in the past. The positions have been switched. Depending on where in the world you are, you can be seen as a rare creature, an alien that others cannot understand for its reason for not conforming to today's norms. You can accept and consider normal love between people of the same gender, but you look horrified when someone tells you that he or she is a virgin at ages 24, 27, or 33. Or that they don't need to sleep with others on a regular basis and have been abstinent for years. What strange creatures we are!
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think this really depends on the age and maturity of the individual. It’s a very sensitive topic and younger people - teenagers - may be pressured before they are mature enough or educated enough to understand the complexities and emotions surrounding sexual activity. Abstinence at such a young age could benefit people, especially girls who are feeling pressure from peers to engage in something when the maturity level isn’t there.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Sexual abstinence before marriage is fine for those who are of a religious bent. However, I do not believe in putting sex on such a high pedestal. As long as the parties involved are aware of the consequences and dangers of sex such as STI's and unwanted pregnancies and take steps to protect themselves, I don't see the need to police other people's choices.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I believe that if both partners in the relationship wants to be intimate before marriage, I see nothing wrong with it and it is there decision to make alone. The world has changed and marriage is not something everyone of today wants to be a part of.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I believe that if both partners in the relationship wants to be intimate before marriage, I see nothing wrong with it and it is there decision to make alone. The world has changed and marriage is not something everyone of today wants to be a part of.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am on the fence about this one. While I think, in most cases, sexual abstinence before marriage is smart, as others have commented in previous posts, it can be a source of confusion. There are many variables to be considered: what if you're someone who never plans on marrying or beginning a marriage with no experience and no idea if you're even compatible in that way with your partner? There are many things to be considered.
Shondranika Ford
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Shondranika Ford »

I agree to some extent. Preservation of purity is positive; however, due to my own selfishness, I wouldn’t want to be dissatisfied and wonder what I’m missing. That’s just my thoughts though.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

Avoiding sexual activity before getting married is a good idea. Even some adults and teenagers struggle to comprehend the benefits it offers. Women who delay having sex before marriage are more empathetic and understanding once they are married, according to scientific research.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I think abstinence before marriage has a very sexist connotation. If you read all of these comments, most of them speak about how the women in the relationships are pressured, or how it was "unheard of" years ago for women to have sex before marriage and the benefits the man will receive if the woman is a virgin. I think there is definitely a double standard. I don't disagree with anyone who believes in abstinence before marriage. However, I am a product of this generation and don't see it as anybody else's business who sleeps with who or when.

For me, as long as you feel loved and safe, you should do it whenever you're ready.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

Danielle Briggs wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 10:33 I may be in the minority, but I think if it is voluntary and wanted by both parties, sex before marriage is completely okay. In today's society, especially with younger people, marriage is not seen as such a goal in life as in the past. Many people do not wish to be married, even if they are in long-term committed relationships.
I agree with this completely!
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's a good idea to refrain from sexual activity before getting married. Teenagers and even some adults have trouble understanding the advantages it provides. Science has shown that women who put off having sex before marriage are more understanding and sympathetic once they are married. Those who aren't given the chance to wait develop augmentative and challenging behaviors within the marriage. According to the Bible, we must avoid sexual immorality.
Joanna Olson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-olson.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Joanna Olson »

I don’t necessarily agree to abstain from sex before marriage, but I can see the author’s viewpoint on the topic. I do agree that outside factors definitely influence young people to engage in sex acts prior to marriage. Teenagers and young adults need to be educated and mature enough to handle what the consequences of sex may be.
Joanna Olson
@joannasbookshelf :D
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

It’s encouraging to see so many who agree. I was taught abstinence, but not for the right reasons. I wish I had been taught the benefits and safety like it describes in the book - not the fire and brimstone condemnation! I think it would help people have a better perspective for why they choose to abstain.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”