Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Re: Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

I agree with avoiding sexual abstinence before marriage. This is not only what young ladies should avoid but also men. Imagine a lady or a guy being infected with dangerous diseases before marriage, this can later affect the other partner and even the children. God Himself made it clear that we should avoid sexual abstinence before marriage and this is not for any other reason but for our protection.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Being a teacher, I should agree with the biblical teachings on abstinence. However, nowadays the world sees you as weird if you are still a maid when you get married. So the only advice I give my female students is to wait till at least 17 years of age and to do it out of love, not fun...
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

I have always been taught sexual abstinence before marriage. I think it is only half-true, and it depends from person to person. Maybe it comes down to what a person perceives sex as. Some may think it is sacred, but some may think of it even more lightly.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

It's true. Women are the most affected in premarital sex, especially if pregnancy occurs. The man responsible for it may even deny ever knowing the lady. Hence, it is best to avoid premarital sex.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

I agree with the Bible that we must flee from sexual immorality. Religious beliefs aside, however, if it is voluntary between two individuals, then it should not be that bad. I think the whole idea of having sex with different partners, however drags it away from what it should have - intimacy.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think it's super complicated. As @Brenda Creech mentioned, the pressure is enormous. If that's the reason behind sex, it's wrong. No matter where the pressure comes from (your friends, your partner, tv). For some people, it might be fine, I guess. That said, let's consider ages. Maturity changes immensely between 13 years old and 17, for example. It also depends on your partner's age, and then we get into the consent territory. It's also about (possible) consequences. If teenagers had proper sexual education and access to reproductive health tools, I think older teens could make an informed decision about it. But we would need an immense cultural shift.
Abstinence as a hard-and-fast rule can be tricky. I can see how it might work, but I can see how it could cause a huge amount of frustration or disappointment because marriage could be super confusing and start for someone with zero experience. At least, in my opinion. But I should clarify that I didn't come to age in American culture or a particularly religious family.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I believe in sexual abstinence in young relationships through the early college years. But when people are older and begin to look for a lifelong partner, I think two people who love each other and are committed to each other should make sure that they have sexual chemistry before they make a promise for the rest of their lives. Having sexual chemistry with your spouse is an important part of the marital relationship.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 07 Jan 2023, 12:56 I think it's super complicated. As @Brenda Creech mentioned, the pressure is enormous. If that's the reason behind sex, it's wrong. No matter where the pressure comes from (your friends, your partner, tv). For some people, it might be fine, I guess. That said, let's consider ages. Maturity changes immensely between 13 years old and 17, for example. It also depends on your partner's age, and then we get into the consent territory. It's also about (possible) consequences. If teenagers had proper sexual education and access to reproductive health tools, I think older teens could make an informed decision about it. But we would need an immense cultural shift.
Abstinence as a hard-and-fast rule can be tricky. I can see how it might work, but I can see how it could cause a huge amount of frustration or disappointment because marriage could be super confusing and start for someone with zero experience. At least, in my opinion. But I should clarify that I didn't come to age in American culture or a particularly religious family.
You made a lot of excellent points! Abstinence was a given when I was growing up, but it was an entirely different society then! The only information we got was sex before marriage was wrong. There weren't any further discussions about it. The sex education class I was in as a teenager was called "Marriage and Family Living!" Needless to say, it was more about marriage than about sex and reproduction!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I think sex before marriage, as long as it is consensual is fine. I think it was originally a concept that stemmed on the virtuous nature of a female to be more appealing when entering into marriage. The male in many cases never had the same pressure put on them, with their promiscuity being a 'right of passage'. This concept is now very much only held as literal in most part by religious bodies and their followers, but the stigma still remains as part of a societal norm. However traditional marriages that are 'forever' are themselves something of a rarity these days, as are the traditional perspectives that go with them.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

I am definitely not of the traditional school of those that abstinence should be practiced before marriage as I am an ardent believer that one must discover one’s sexual compatibility to one’s partner before marriage.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

Sexual abstinence before marriage is definitely a good thing. But I came from society that sexual intercourse before marriage is prohibited. So my first time was when I'm married. AndnI could say that it is the best thing I have ever done with the one I love.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I believe this is a 50/50 situation. I have heard of women who didn't have sex before marriage but then abused later due to their lack of knowledge. I do believe it is your choice what you do, BUT I do believe having knowledge is key to everything.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I agree with sexual abstinence before marriage. What I like most is the clean conscience that comes with it. Also, the confidence of knowing you are not in danger of getting a sexually transmitted disease. I wish young girls were more educated on this.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Pair bonding is a real concept, and sexual abstinence before marriage is the number one indicator of the strength of a couple's marriage because they'll be bonding for the first time with just themselves. It becomes harder to form a strong bond when they've bonded at different times in the past with different people.
readingswithsoso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingswithsoso.html
Latest Review: The Prophecy of the Heron by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by readingswithsoso »

Either the woman choses abstinence or not the most important is to be well informed about her body and sex. It's to be informed since a younger age and have someone of trust who can guide and protect. Specially, be open to any questions.
Being informed and supported is key.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”