Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Sexual Abstinence Before Marriage?

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Meghan Sica wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 08:50 I don't think abstinence before marriage is realistic in this day in age. Most people end up having multiple marriages. While I don't agree you should be out having sexual relations with every other person, I just don't think not having sex is ideal either. Plus, not everyone wants to get married. After all, marriage is just a piece of paper. If you are truly devoted to eachother, you don't even need to get married.
Precisely, times have changed and so have views about such matters. You've brought out another interesting aspect about not everybody want to be married. It makes me criticize the author's views at another level.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I do believe that abstinence before marriage IS the way to go, I sadly have not always lived that way. In fact, before I married my husband in October, I was living in sin, nevermind that I'd been married twice before. While I felt bad about shacking up, once I was in the situation, it felt impossible to leave and keep my relationship going, especially since we'd already been doing the deed. What a mental load that came off once we because legal!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Abstinence is the ideal. It avoids a lot of problems, both for the participants and for their unplanned children. As the unmarried population gets older, however, it is more difficult to maintain.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

It is now a norm in our todays reality. It is even like a way to show you are normal. People who practice abstinence are viewed as not normal and are shut down on the need for abstinence. Sex is for marriage but a lot of us have left this idea behind.
Victor Ayub Migos
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

I believe that chastity and virginity is the best gift someone could offer their partner in a marriage. Sadly the society we live in has evolved and people see sex as just something casual that you can do it with anyone you like. Teenagers especially don't even know what they are getting into and that's why there are so many cases of unwanted pregnancies and abortion. We can all agree that abstinence before marriage is the best bet.
Jack King
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Jeminah Jeremie wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 02:37 Sexual abstinence before marriage?

I agree with this explanation from the author. :tiphat: It helps avoid negative thoughts from a conflict, especially insecurities. From my own experience, it's a way of consoling myself against any doubts. Sexual abstinence also helps me in counseling, particularly with the young ladies. Usually, women are the most affected by their own wrong choices about premarital sex.
I think there is a definite benefit to abstinence before marriage.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Diamond Harrell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamond-harrell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Diamond Harrell »

The older I get, the more I wish I had waited! Sex is hardly EVER worth it and it opens you to so many additional issues. It is easier to acknowledge your flesh but not allow it to run wild. I still struggle in this area but have been leaning (heavily) to make some much needed changes.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a Christian and know that sex before marriage is against the sixth commandment. I know that God, in His wisdom, knows what is best. But failing to follow the commandment does not spell doom. God forgives and allows us to try again.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Vine Michael wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 18:21 Now in the society, sex is seen as the norm and if you’re not doing it you are portrayed as weird. Abstinence before marriage is currently seen as crazy and for religious fanatics but it leads to a more healthy life and relationships but
Abstinence before marriage is a positive thing as it allows you to focus on other things in your life, such as studying or building your career. Sex is seen as the ultimate goal in a relationship and if you are not having it you are considered weird. Not only does this cause people to have sex before marriage, but it also leads to many sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancies that could have been avoided.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Moonlight + wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 08:26 I believe that chastity and virginity is the best gift someone could offer their partner in a marriage. Sadly the society we live in has evolved and people see sex as just something casual that you can do it with anyone you like. Teenagers especially don't even know what they are getting into and that's why there are so many cases of unwanted pregnancies and abortion. We can all agree that abstinence before marriage is the best bet.
Hi Moonlight, I agree with you that virginity also symbolizes purity and innocence, which is why it’s important to wait until marriage. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. It’s something that you can give to your partner and they will always have it. It has a value that cannot be measured by any materialistic means.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

This issue is always rampant. Personally, I would say that it is a matter of choice. If you want to have sex before marriage, fine. If you don't, fine. Just don't follow the crowd, let it be a decision that one takes wholly.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I agree with you that women are most affected when it comes to wrong choices in premarital sex. It doesn't really affect the men that much. That's why I agree with sexual abstinence before marriage; it helps one avoid a lot of things when it comes to premarital sex.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I agree with sexual abstinence because it improves one's mental health. Involving in sex before marriage comes with it's downsides, and imparts one's health negatively in a way, even if this is seen as a norm nowadays.
Joyjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

While many people understand that sexual abstinence had overwhelming advantages, many do not make it their way of life. However, for those who do, they are spared many of the problems that come with sex outside of marriage.
Sheri Iodice
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheri-iodice.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sheri Iodice »

This is definitely and very difficult and controversial subject. I think yes, it is best to be sexually abstinent before marriage. That being said, sometimes things happen and I think that people need to know that they are not condemned for life if they have made mistakes and that they can be forgiven. Kids these days have a hard time. My daughter is 18 and boys don't want to "date" anymore, they want to "hook up". She gets asked constantly about her feelings about having sex before they even go out on dates. It is really a different world that our kids are growing up in. It makes me sad. I wonder how they will ever have any trust in their marriages.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”