Lies our parents tell us

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Davy Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-davy-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Small Business, Big Stress: A Practical Guide to Managing the Chaos and Finding Success by Niki Reiche

Re: Lies our parents tell us

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

The influence of the child's age and the nature of the falsehood significantly determine the circumstances. In numerous cases, the fabrication becomes essential due to the child's limited comprehension of reality. Conversely, certain falsehoods, such as those surrounding Santa Claus, pose no harm.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Sometimes it is better to be plain with the truth with kids than telling them lies. I remember my mother telling me I shouldn't allow any boy touch me(Hold me) that if any boy does I will get pregnant. Whenever I saw boys I ran away from them although she was trying to protect me, but not in the right way. That mentality would have altered my relationship with males if I didn't see someone else to explain it better.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

I don't tag it lie. It's more like withholding and information until it is the right time. They are stations we need to withhold some information expecially to kids.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 49%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

I was five years old and too excited to go to bed. Mom had some gifts to wrap and my nose was everywhere except in bed. So, Dad took me out to the car. He had warmed it up and we sat in the car, watching the sky for Santa’s sleigh. Now, I saw a a plane going overhead, and there was a flashing red light. AHA! There was Rudolph’s red nose. I pointed it out. We gleefully watched it go by. Now, Dad had a great excuse as to why it didn’t dip down into our neighborhood, and was that Santa was on a time schedule to hit the next town over the mountain. But, he would be back. Soon, Mom waved from the door. We went in, and she gave me some hot chocolate. I was willing to go to bed and all was well. Did that hurt me? Absolutely not! I loved it then and forever shall.

It depends on the lie. Some lies can hurt. But, deep down, when the time came to learn the truth about Santa, that was part of growing up and it was fun too. It was okay because of the way my folks handled it. Parents can make anything good or bad.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Clauson Justin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I think it depends on the type of lie we are told. Some lies end up hurting children especially if the truth is never revealed. Lies about Santa cannot be harmful to a child. However, when it comes to sex education, I believe that answers should be given based on the child.
Kaitlin Bryant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

Aloe Crane wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 00:34 Do small white lies to kids really harm their development and ruin their future? It doesn't seem likely to me. I don't think being lied to about Santa Claus made me depressed and disappointed by the real world. I mean, what's the harm in a little lie? Isn't lying part of our adult life?
I think it is important to build a relationship of trust with our children. While the "little white lie," may feel harmless in the moment, wouldn't you want your children to know without a doubt that their parents (protectors), are truthful with them?
I think it is one of the most important aspects of parenting. Being open, and honest and forming a meaningful relationship with your children so that they grow up knowing that you are a safe place.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”