Lies our parents tell us

Use this forum to discuss the January 2023 Book of the Month, Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics by Anthony A. Morris.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt or other proof of purchase at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=550484

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Aloe Crane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Lies our parents tell us

Post by Aloe Crane »

Do small white lies to kids really harm their development and ruin their future? It doesn't seem likely to me. I don't think being lied to about Santa Claus made me depressed and disappointed by the real world. I mean, what's the harm in a little lie? Isn't lying part of our adult life?
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

I agree with you on that. A parent may tell a lie to make a child happy, as in the case of Santa, but as the child grows, he will find out it was all fake, and anger or disappointment is never felt after a discovery like this. However, not telling adopted kids about their background do cause a lot of anger, and it's better to be more open with the child about his background.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

This will include tails such as Santa Clause, the tooth fairy, and others. I don't think that lying to kids about this will influence their adult life. After all what harm is there in lying about fictional characters existing in the real world. It is important to tell adopted children about their background since withholding information will most definitely influence their adult life.
Aloe Crane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

I hadn't even thought about adopted children, thank you for your input! That's not even considering other lies we tell children. Like what are the effects of just omitting the truth from children? Like not telling them the true effects of obesity and sugar? Or sex? Or even misinformation?
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by PinkRose572 »

The truth is that lie is lie and it is dangerous to bonding between parents and children. It doesn't matter the nature of the lie. In fact, it is even difficult to trust people who can lie with "things of little significance." And again, response to lies varies from person to person.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Lies about Santa and some imaginary beings may be harmless for children. But when it comes to sexual hygiene and knowledge of their body parts, I find that it is absolutely important to tell zero lies, as they can be both harmful and dangerous.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Vivian Writes »

Lies about Santa and some imaginary beings may be harmless for children. But when it comes to sexual hygiene and knowledge of their body parts, I find that it is absolutely important to tell zero lies, as they can be both harmful and dangerous.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Aloe Crane wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 00:34 Do small white lies to kids really harm their development and ruin their future? It doesn't seem likely to me. I don't think being lied to about Santa Claus made me depressed and disappointed by the real world. I mean, what's the harm in a little lie? Isn't lying part of our adult life?
I believe in situational ethics. Growing up, I asked my parents where children came from. They were not straightforward in their responses and would take me in rounds, especially as my cognition grew, there were lies about the origin of children that would not make sense to me. Imagine my school when I got to school, received sexual education then learnt how exactly children are made. Looking back, I don't feel betrayed by my parents. I feel protected from the truths that I may not have been ready for. It's the same case for adopted children. Imagine telling your biological children that a boy or girl they've always thought was their elder brother or sister is biologically not related to them. It will create a sense of stigmatisation and victimisation in the worst case scenario. In the latter case, I think it's best to wait until an age where the children can comfortably accommodate such information.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Monale Bariyima Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monale-bariyima-ueh.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Monale Bariyima Ueh »

I believe small white lies don't do any harm to children. But I won't consider lies about sexual hygiene as small white lies. It ok to not go into details of certain topics at certain age. But sexual questions should be answered honestly as children are very impressionable and not get our humour.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Post by Danielle Briggs »

I think it definitely depends on the child's age and the extent of the lie. Many times, lies are necessary because children are too young to understand the truth. Other times, they are harmless, like with Santa Claus.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

As a mother of an adopted kid, I will never forget the moment I told him the truth- at 6 years old, before starting school. His first question was WHY did you Lie to me? I explained that he had been too young to understand clearly and he soon calmed down. But about sexual issues, it was he who came back from school with a condom and explained to me what it was and its use, when he was only 8...so what white lies could I say from then on?
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

It's always wise to be truthful. Parents should always be honest and forthright. Tell the children where babies come from, where Santa Claus originated, etc. However, it's my belief that all this must be done when the child is old enough to understand. In the end, we will want them to be honest with us.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Sometimes a parent has to lie about it, most especially if the child is young. During the days of my secondary school, I ask my dad what pleasure people see in sex that makes them want more and he answered that there is no enjoyment in sex than having children, he add that those people doing it outside the marriage do it without any gain. Although this was a lie but it save me at that particular time.
MichelleYong
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelleyong.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by MichelleYong »

I somewhat disagree with this, lying about Santa Claus and lying about topics like this is two different matters entirely. Sometimes lies can turn into misconceptions that they will still believe in the future.
Shut-Eye Shares
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shut-eye-shares.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Shut-Eye Shares »

Lies that keep kids being kids aren't bad. Though one day they do need to be told the truth.

Return to “Discuss "Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude: Human Ethics" by Anthony A. Morris”